Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 found something odd in the woods scouting today >

found something odd in the woods scouting today

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

found something odd in the woods scouting today

Old 09-12-2007, 01:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: found something odd in the woods scouting today

that was one worry i thought that someone might have sue it to hind a body or two never know these area is mainly swamp and the chance of something gettingfound would be rear
ORIGINAL: LittleChief

I have to agree with the post a few lines back... doesn't sound like tools to cook meth, but needles, a big blue tarp, shoulder length gloves, zip lock bags.... sounds like a camp site Jeffrey Dahmer would have taken a date to.
I have no idea what these folks were up to, but it couldn't have been good.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:26 PM

good deal. either way it needed to be taken care of. meth is nasty. i cant imagine why anyone would even want to try that. if ya try it and like it, then you become addicted, if ya dont like it, you just wasted your money. seems like a lose lose situation to me.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:30 PM

o yea. for those of you who said you carry a sidearm with you, do you have a CCW? i mean i feel the same way, especially with bowhunting in deep woods, i feel much safer. but even though im getting my pistol in a week or so, i cant carry it with me on public land, which is a bummer to me. seems like it would make everything safer, atleast for the good guys. i wander what they would do, probably arrest me and give me a very harsh charge.

is there anyway to get a CCW? im pretty sure you need to own your own business or carry large sums of money, or get atleasy 3 documented death threats (atleast thats what the gun store owner told me about MD laws) but i think it would keep everyone safe who hunts in the deep woods. i know it would be a problem on the street, becuase theres to many situations that could turn deadly when they shouldnt, but what about being in woods where noone is around? someone can kill you, burry your body and forget about ya. sort of scary.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

that is odd
Old 09-12-2007, 06:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think they mightuse a dent puller to pop ignitions? Just a thought.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:34 PM

I ALSO FOUND A METH TENT WHEN I WAS HUNTING A RIVER BOTTOM ONLY ABOUT 2 OR 3 MILES OUT OF TOWN.THE PEOPLE THAT DO THOSE THINGS ARE SO STUPID
Old 09-12-2007, 08:01 PM

ORIGINAL: geterdun2

o yea. for those of you who said you carry a sidearm with you, do you have a CCW? i mean i feel the same way, especially with bowhunting in deep woods, i feel much safer. but even though im getting my pistol in a week or so, i cant carry it with me on public land, which is a bummer to me. seems like it would make everything safer, atleast for the good guys. i wander what they would do, probably arrest me and give me a very harsh charge.

is there anyway to get a CCW? im pretty sure you need to own your own business or carry large sums of money, or get atleasy 3 documented death threats (atleast thats what the gun store owner told me about MD laws) but i think it would keep everyone safe who hunts in the deep woods. i know it would be a problem on the street, becuase theres to many situations that could turn deadly when they shouldnt, but what about being in woods where noone is around? someone can kill you, burry your body and forget about ya. sort of scary.
Ever heard the saying, "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6". Perfect example of why I guess.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

There are a lot of folks who will grow pot and cook meth on public lands. This is because if they are caught doing it on their own property, everything can be seized -- the property, the cars, the house, and everything in the house. So the usual method is to go to a "remote" area of public land (national/state park, national forest) and do it there. Usually they'll have some old beater car or truck. If they are doing it on public land, the only property to be seized is the truck and whatever is in it.

Over the years I have been involved in a lot of operations to clear these guys out of the national forest (mostly in California). The guys growing pot are generally - though not always - harmless while they are in the woods. They know the threshold between a misdemeanor garden and a felony garden and they are always a plant or two short of a felony garden. There was a time that they went in the woods armed and set booby traps, but that was an escalation that they soon discovered they couldn't win. 99 times out of 100, if they feel that their garden was compromised, they will abandon it. Usually, it is one garden out of several dozen. They'll gladly sacrifice a half dozen plants rather than risk being arrested. While I say that these guys are harmless, I'm referring to their being a threat in the woods. Their product goes on to fund organized crime - or gangs if you prefer. While they may not be gang members, they are being paid by gangs and are supplying them with product that they used to finance their operations. Anyone who doesn't see the harm that the gangs are doing needs to wake up. (that's a discussion for a different forum)

The meth guys are a different breed. Cooking meth is an adventure in hazmat land. These guys cooking meth out in the woods are typically armed. Since they aren't doing it behind locked doors, they feel paranoid. They also usually dump their byproducts on the ground, which is a serious hazmat problem. Their operation doesn't take months, like growing pot, so they usually stick around the area, or don't wander far. Meth cookers aren't the witless schmo's that the pot growers are. They are usually part of the gang and will usually be confrontational if confronted in the woods.

The worst I ever saw a pot grower armed was with a little .410 shotgun. I've seen meth guys with AKs. You did right to get out of the area and report it.

My advice to everyone who hunts public land during the warmer, more pleasant weather is to look up the phone number for the law enforcement office of the park service or forest service. They are the ones who will take action... they are sworn federal law enforcement officers and are prepared to deal with criminals. The conservation officer and park ranger generally are not the ones to confront these folks... and similarly, don't confront them yourselves.

Folks, we've got to take an active role in reclaiming our public lands. There is no reason or right for these folks to be conducting criminal activities in places where you may be taking your families. They think that they are going "deep into the woods" - but most of the time their less than a mile in from the road.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

my understanding is that it is your right to have a ccw they can only keep you haveing one if your a felon or a few other things

i know here in indiana you just have to pass a background check

there is no law saying you must carry large sums of money it is your second amd. right call the county sherriff they can tell you
ORIGINAL: geterdun2

Old 09-13-2007, 11:02 AM

Some fishermen found a neo-Nazi bunker on an island in the county park a few miles from my house a few years ago. Scary stuff you can find out there.

Quick Reply: found something odd in the woods scouting today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.