HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How I lost my 4x4 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/206561-how-i-lost-my-4x4.html)

stuckinthereeds 09-11-2007 07:46 PM

How I lost my 4x4

So after spending 5 hours in my first spot. I decided to move to my second spot. I walked back to my truck packed up my gear and was driving down the area that I knew had trophy mulies:D!! Anyhow, on my way there I saw a doe that just got done drinking for the morning and heading home. i thought that I would take her hopped out of my truck and up popped a huge 4x4 muley...I would say pushing 200 lbs. Just a huge bruiser of a deer. He only jumped off about 10 yards then stoped and just gazed at me. I grabbed my gear....nocked my arrow...went to grab my release and....what where is it....I know its in my truck on the passenger seat...what it isn't there...must be on the floor...huh, it isn't there........Long story short, somewhere between my current place and my first area I was at I lost my caliper. I had to just watch this beautiful deer walk away up the mountain just laughing at me. I was somewhere between punching a tree and falling down on the grass crying......I drove back into town bought a new one and back out I went. The big deer was never to be seen again[&o][&:][:@][:'(][:-]

mathewsconquest2 09-12-2007 12:23 PM

RE: How I lost my 4x4

I have thought many times of purchasing a back-up release for similar reasons. I always find my self spending the $ on something else for hunting. After reading your story, I will be stopping at Cabelas to pick up a back up release today.

-MC2

GMMAT 09-12-2007 12:29 PM

For some reason.....I thought you were gonna say you turned around to get your release.....and your truck (4x4)had rolled down the mountain.

Call me twisted.

StrutNtom 09-12-2007 12:33 PM

Me too. I was looking for pics of the truck at the bottom of a cliff.:D

fishm@n 09-12-2007 12:33 PM

That brings up an interesting point that maybe more of us release shooters should practice with fingers for just such emergencies. Obviously you don't want to take the shot with bare fingers if you haven't practiced it.. but it could have put meat in the freezer.

I know Chuck Adams shoots fingers and this is probably one of those occasions when he'd say I told you so.

I'll be over in the Belts in 10 days... woohoo!

GMMAT 09-12-2007 12:37 PM

That brings up an interesting point that maybe more of us release shooters should practice with fingers for just such emergencies.
I've attempted it. It throws your peep sight out of whack...and "for me" wouldn't be ethical.

Bailsuk 09-12-2007 12:38 PM

I thought the same thing , at least it was the release and not you truck ... that would be harder to handle .

Better luck next time :eek:

Dave

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

For some reason.....I thought you were gonna say you turned around to get your release.....and your truck (4x4)had rolled down the mountain.

Call me twisted.

Jim_IV 09-12-2007 12:39 PM

Call me twisted.
Thats what I thought when I read the title, then when he said he reached for his release I pretty much assumed his truck rolled down the hill.

Serves me right, you know what assuming does;)

BobCo19-65 09-12-2007 12:41 PM

Funny.

ron3775 09-12-2007 12:41 PM

Call me twisted.
I guess you can say the same for me also