Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Cover scent or no cover scent?  That is the question... >

Cover scent or no cover scent? That is the question...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cover scent or no cover scent? That is the question...

Old 09-11-2007, 07:02 PM

Default Cover scent or no cover scent? That is the question...

I used to be a fan of the fresh earth scent wafers, Essence of Fall, and racoon urine and such to use as cover scents. I've since decided I would rather smell like NOTHING....

What do ya'll prefer and why?
Old 09-11-2007, 07:09 PM

Default RE: Cover scent or no cover scent? That is the question...

I use both but usually buy the no scent stuff. I think smelling like nothing is better than smelling like fake dirt, which to us may smell like the real thing but to the whitetails nose, he might be able to pick out that fabricated scent.

And I can't understand that acorn smell...I've broken acorns up and never have smelled that smell that comes in a bottle.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:28 PM

I am a firm believer in smelling as close to nothing as possible. What better and rewarding feeling than having a deer fifteen feet under you and has no clue you are there? Scentless IS the altimate in concealment!! If you are going to use scents, use the ones that put their attention away from you.
Eric S. Stacy AKA: DeerDope
Old 09-11-2007, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

another vote for nothing.

we REALLY dont know what the deer smell when they are sniffing "fresh earth" or whatever else...they can smell things that we dont even know can be smelled. i just rather not beable to be smelled at all than be smelled...

if every joe schmoe out there uses "fresh earth" or whatever else, deer will soon learn to stay away from that smell...cant avoid what he cant smell....
Old 09-11-2007, 07:46 PM
Typical Buck

I use the Fresh Earth smell. Apparently they haven't noticed the difference yet...I have had a ton of deer within bow range since starting using the wafers and dryer sheets.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have had good luck with the earth scents and wafers so far. Heck us Hoosiers really dont need cover scent, we just down right smell perty anyway[8D]
Old 09-11-2007, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MO_Bowhnter

I use both but usually buy the no scent stuff. I think smelling like nothing is better than smelling like fake dirt, which to us may smell like the real thing but to the whitetails nose, he might be able to pick out that fabricated scent.

And I can't understand that acorn smell...I've broken acorns up and never have smelled that smell that comes in a bottle.
No, kidding about the acorn scent! I'd put that stuff in my coffee it smells so good! Real acorns ,not so much. But I do think the sweet nutty aroma will attract them probably as well as vanilla would,even though no vanilla grows around here!
Old 09-11-2007, 08:17 PM

ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

I have had good luck with the earth scents and wafers so far. Heck us Hoosiers really dont need cover scent, we just down right smell perty anyway[8D]
Yeah, I smelled ya all the way through that state......I don't know what it was, but there was a rather pungeant odor in the air.....and this was before the blue tounge......I even said something to the wife......Like, does this whole damn state smell this bad?? Actually, I think it was just around Terra Haut......God, if I ever see that place again it'll be too soon......
Old 09-11-2007, 08:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

seriously, terra haute does have some funky aroma around there. Must be some kind of factory with bad mojo. If your ever in my area, i think i could convert ya. Im in the middle of nothing but woods and water, Gods country i say [8D]your welcome over any time!
ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

Yeah, I smelled ya all the way through that state......I don't know what it was, but there was a rather pungeant odor in the air.....and this was before the blue tounge......I even said something to the wife......Like, does this whole damn state smell this bad?? Actually, I think it was just around Terra Haut......God, if I ever see that place again it'll be too soon......
Old 09-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

I also use fresh earth, have had more success in my opinion that no scent at all, just love to open that bin every year and smell leaves dirt, and a slight hint of mushroom (i think lol)

P.S.
I never bring the waffers with me they stay in my hunting tote, the smell is way to strong on them alone, just use them to saturate my clothes with the smell.

Thanks
Rich

Quick Reply: Cover scent or no cover scent? That is the question...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.