Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Did I mess up?  Feel kinda stupid.. >

Did I mess up? Feel kinda stupid..

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Did I mess up? Feel kinda stupid..

Old 09-11-2007, 07:22 AM
Typical Buck

Default Did I mess up? Feel kinda stupid..

Man, I was out scouting the other day, I drove in on a dirt road and was headed to an oak bottom that is surrounded by pine trees. As I was driving along the road I could see the oak ops out about 100 yards so I drove till the appeared closer to the road, the pine woods was a thicket. Well I get to a spot and head off through the thicket and into the oak bottom. Before I make it to the oak bottom I see deer tracks and what appears to be a small not real heavily used trail. I think well atleast theres deer around here. I go into the bottom and scout and find several oaks dropping acorns. Find me a couple trees and come out. Well I get back out to my trucka and there is a pile of deer tracks crossing the road right up from where I parked.
Well right up the road about 20 yards I found a tree I could climb.

Heres the problem, season opens for me this weekend,

DO YOU THINK I SPOOKED THESE DEER? I wasnt really sweaty or anything, it hasnt rained its been sunny everyday. Can I count on this spot or did my ignorance mess it up? I am going back thursday evening to make sure they are stil crossing there and if they are I aint going back till opening morning (Sat.). Thanks in advance.....
Old 09-11-2007, 07:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Did I mess up? Feel kinda stupid..

MY suggestion would be......DON'T go back, Thursday.....but DO go back opening day.

You know they're there. My opinion is....you've already been in there once. If you're worried about that....I surely wouldn't do it again!

Good luck.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:30 AM

I wouldn't be concerned. One time in, and no problem--especially with several days left before sat'day. Be more concerned with how you enter and leave when you do hunt, and make sure of teh wind direction when on stand.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say you would be ok to go back Saturday but I wouldn't risk it on Thursday. Deer react a lot different from someone being in the woods versus them busting you while on stand. If you're using a climber, get there early enough Sat morning to get up the tree without making noise or sweating your ass off. And of course, be mindfull of the wind!! Good luck!
Old 09-11-2007, 08:32 AM
Fork Horn

I wouldn't worry about it. We set-up a trail camera in an area a month ago. I went back two days later to change out the SD card in the camera. It was hot and I was sweating all over the place. I went back two days later and changed out the SD card again. A buck walked down the trail about about 30 minutes after I left. This makes me believe that the scent we leave behind doesn't bother them as much as we might think. I would say hunt it...you didn't mess up.

All of these 2 cent comments are breaking the piggie bank.
Reid
Old 09-11-2007, 01:16 PM
Typical Buck

I really appreciate the help fellas, I aint going back till I am ready to kill sumpin.........
Old 09-12-2007, 07:33 PM

DONT GO BACK UNTILL YOU YOU HUNT IT WILL BE FINE