Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many of you are into guns as much as archery? >

How many of you are into guns as much as archery?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many of you are into guns as much as archery?

Old 09-10-2007, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How many of you are into guns as much as archery?

This may be more appropriate in offtopic (mods feel free to move it if so), but I figured I would get more opinions of archers in here. I grew up around firearms (actually I'm still growing up at 22), and was shooting when I was 8. I hunted my first year in PA just firearms, and then I got a bow the very next year and have never looked back. Archery hunting has been a real passion of mine ever since then, and I definitely enjoy it more than gun hunting, but I also find that I'm enjoying just general archery shooting more than shooting my guns. I've considered getting a few more guns (to target shoot), but I find I'm just not as motivated to spend the time or money (what little I have) on them anymore (but I'm always willing to drop some coin on my bow). How many of you are still very avid gun collectors and shooters? Is there really room for two obssessions?

Just read over this thread over on an offroad forum I frequent and I see that some people are truly obsessed like many of us are in archery.
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...83&page=35
Old 09-10-2007, 08:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How many of you are into guns as much as archery?

I'm still very much into guns as I am archery. Any tie I get a chance to shoot/hunt I'm there no matter the weapon. I grew up around strictly gun hunters and while I would rather take any animal with a bow over a firearm I just can't pass up the opportunity to shoot a gun
Old 09-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

This thread was right on time. I've known firearms and have been reloading, buying, trading, studying, and hunting with them all of my life. I just bought my first bow less than a month ago... and I'm hooked! I imagine that 90 % of my big game hunting from now on will be with a bow.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:08 PM

I enjoy my firearms.....but it ain't archery. No, I'm not NEARLY as interested.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chris_H

This thread was right on time. I've known firearms and have been reloading, buying, trading, studying, and hunting with them all of my life. I just bought my first bow less than a month ago... and I'm hooked! I imagine that 90 % of my big game hunting from now on will be with a bow.
Offtopic, but nice trucks in the avatar. Have a 1996 lifted and armored. But yeah, I still like guns, don't get me wrong, and will shoot mine when the mood strikes me, but I have way too much fun shooting my bow.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not into guns at all. I have enough to cover me in every aspect of hunting and sporting but I haven't fired one in years, other than my turkey gun and handguns. I cannot tell you the last time I fired a rifle? Seriously, I'd bet on 5 plus years. I have no desire to shoot any big game animal with a rifle, I don't know why I keep them other than they are mine.

I've used my shotgun for turkey but am really happy with the KS gobblers I took with the bow, I might continue to use my shotgun at times but I'll know when that spring time comes.

I probably will never purchase another gun, I have all that I need and I don't use them.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:15 PM

I will probably never put down my guns, I love shooting them just as much as I enjoy shooting my bow.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have bow hunted since the 60s, started with a recurve, nothing beats it..
I believe my situation is a little different than most, first our season runs from mid-September until January 1st...Does can be killed the entire season, we own 3 family farms and frankly we need 40-50 deer killed a year, yep big problem...Our bow season lasts a month in eastern NC, then I pull out the gun....Sometimes a .243, sometimes the .54...

There are guns, and then there are guns...Took me 2 years to build this one, finished in 1990....

Old 09-10-2007, 08:29 PM

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

I have bow hunted since the 60s, started with a recurve, nothing beats it..
I believe my situation is a little different than most, first our season runs from mid-September until January 1st...Does can be killed the entire season, we own 3 family farms and frankly we need 40-50 deer killed a year, yep big problem...Our bow season lasts a month in eastern NC, then I pull out the gun....Sometimes a .243, sometimes the .54...

There are guns, and then there are guns...Took me 2 years to build this one, finished in 1990....

Very Pretty traditional muzzy. Was that a kit gun or was it one you restored? Either way, very nice work on it, that stock is GORGEOUS!
Old 09-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm an archery guy through and through but just the opposite of some of you, the sport of shooting and guns is taking more of an interest in me lately for some reason.......I love new challenges and learning new things.
I definitely don't like HUNTING with a gun as much as a bow (I do enjoy flintlock muzzleloader deer hunting though) and haven't shot a big game animal with a centerfire rifle in 21yrs. [:-]
When I was younger I loved toting the side by side around grouse or rabbit hunting but haven't done that in many moons either.

I have been considering getting into competitive shooting in some form but have no interest in benchrest type stuff.
I have been thinking about "3 Gun" and learning what that demands. Something with a little action and excitement. I think benchrest stuff would put me in a loonie bin.

I have recently taken an interest in AR15s to go along with the 3 Gun stuff and have a new Stag Arms model 2T decked out with a Eotech 512 and some other goodies ready to go after this weekend.
If I wasn't the 'Scary Neighbor" before I will definitely be shortly.

I like shooting sports in general and being well rounded, and it's hard to deny that slinging some lead on the range is fun.
I don't ever see myself being a "Gun guy" but It is hard to like shooting a bow and have no appreciation for shooting guns as well on some level.

Quick Reply: How many of you are into guns as much as archery?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.