Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 liberty or pretty boy watershed in MD? >

liberty or pretty boy watershed in MD?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

liberty or pretty boy watershed in MD?

Old 09-10-2007, 03:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default liberty or pretty boy watershed in MD?

im not sure if this is in right sec, if it doesnt really belong here, feel free to remove. thanks alot mods

hey all, im a little bummed out. i was going to hunt elk neck state park. i had good # of game camera pics and all, knew where my stand would be, saw a few deer sightings and sign and was ready to go for sat. long story short, i just had the time today (with college and all) to go and get my license, go to the park and sign up. luckily, i thought i should call first just to make sure spots are open and, well, its all taken. not 1 spot left. so now i have to go somehwere else to hunt, atleast for the opener. i was wandering if anyone has had success with prettyboy or liberty watersheds in baltimore county. if so, which one was better? did you see any deer? i wil have 1 day before saturday to scout, so i wont be able to scout that much, but i want atleast a alright chance to shoot just a doe or so. i dont even want a buck, i just need some meat and can worry about antlers later. i hate hunting areas with cold feet, so i was hoping for some advise for either property. is anyone aware of how many acres each one is? any advise on where to hunt? by this i dont mean an exact location (that would be cool lol) just a genera area to look at, or even to stay away from. i hate to sound like im asking for a "freeby" with information regarding the land, but i truly did scout ALOT this year and its not that im being lazy, but i didnt have any time to sign up in between SEPT 5 (when sign up began) and today. i even called my 2nd WMA and hunted last year and same thing, all booked. so now im back to sqaure one, atleast for the opening day. just would like to be in a area that deer frequent somewhat. thanks alot, sorry for the long post.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: liberty or pretty boy watershed in MD?

I always here alot of good things about Pretty Boy!!
Old 09-10-2007, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

have you ever hunted there bud?
Old 09-10-2007, 05:00 PM
bigcountry

Pretty boy is kinda complicated. Never had luck there. But Liberty is pretty good. I hunt on the land off of Route140. First week is nuts with young guys. I have had success there. Another part of liberty that is good is off of Route 32. Don't bother hunting off of deer park road, groves and groves of hunters first day.

Now that liberty reservoir is way down, its easy to walk into areas pretty deep in.

I know that BGE is doing work on some of the good clearcuts and havn't seen sign since they have been in there. But go in about 1/2 a mile or more and decent hunting.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:08 PM

Heard pretty boy is really crowded with Pa hunters cuz Pa doesn't open untill later... Some say you'll see way more people than deer.. never hunted it but have friends that do.. Liberty on the other hand I have heard some good reports from there... Still I believe it gets hunted hard... I really never heard of any public area that hasn'tgotten hunted hard. sorry I took your spot at Elk Neck lol : )
Old 09-10-2007, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I trout fish down threw there and see plenty of deer now thats not hunting season though. My brother -in-law has great success there every year !
Old 09-10-2007, 06:01 PM
Typical Buck

I planned on hunting Prettyboy this year but decided to just stay in PA. We did see good deer numbers during our 3 scouting trips. But we also found alot of treestands so alot of people must hunt it as mentioned before. If you want some more info, let me know.

Zach
Old 09-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

well i mean i would take anything i can get right now lol. i just would hate to go in there completely blind ya know. now i guess i have to just make a decision between which watershed to hunt. its a tough decision, especially when i havent seen either one. man i wish i knew i couldt hunt elk neck opening day, i would have been able to scout alot more. but i guess thats life, maybe i should have taken off a day of college to go and sign up, but i really didnt think it filled up that quick lol.

nefaroious: lol you had that spot before me anyway bud. like i said, i will be hunting there during the week, but i really need to find somewhere to hunt sat. lol my mood has changed alot about sat. before i was confident with my spot and all, now, im just hoping to get lucky.

thanks alot for all the info guys, keep it coming if ya have anymore, im in desperate need lol
Old 09-10-2007, 06:22 PM

There is elk neck state forest in Northeast... there are no permits or sign ups there... never hunted it during archery but will probably try it a few times this year. Ithink it gets hunted hard also but I got a small buck there late in rifle season last year...
Old 09-10-2007, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

really? there is no need to sign up or nything? huh, what is it down by the shooting range?

Quick Reply: liberty or pretty boy watershed in MD?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.