Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Velvet Buck

Old 09-10-2007, 11:24 AM

Default Velvet Buck

This year i am hunting in delaware which opend on the 1st of sept. With it opening that early i really wanted to try and get a buck still in velvet. Normaly around here they loose there velvet around the second week of sept. So i new if i was gonna get one with good velvet i had to get him the 1st week.
I hunted basicly every morning and evening the first week trying to get a buck. I had many small bucks still in velvet but nothing i wanted to mount. I did shoot a button buck (thinking it was a doe) then on friday evening all the bucks i was seeing already lost most of the velvet, so i opted to shoot a nice size doe.
I got here all cut up that night and didnt feel like going out in the morning, But more i thought about it i decided to go. It was a saturday and i could sit for a longer time since i didnt have to work.
Well when the alarm went off at 4:15 am i didnt feel like going and ALMOST went back to sleep but i said what the heck ill go.
I get there in my stand a little after 5am and already had a deer there. Once i got settled i had a deer come in and start feeding not sure what it was since it was still dark but it didnt stay long so it was probably one of those monster you dream about lol. But about a half hour later (6:30) a button buck came in and started eating. Then right after that here comes a buck. Looked to be a nice buck, He came right in and did a long grunt as telling the button buck to move. And he did lol. When i saw his rack i decided to take him. He was super big but he was still in fulll velvet.
I drew back shot and saw my arrow hit. It looked to be a great shot, But he ran about 40yds stoped and looked back. I thought he was gonna fall but he didnt he just stood there. And then laid down looking around. So i new i made a bad shot. about 5 minutes later the buck gets up and walks off I couldnt belive it.
After the button buck left (about 45 minutes later) i got down got my arrow and saw green guts on it. I looked at the blood and there was bubbles in the blood so i new i got one lung. I left the deer go for about 4 hours and came back with a friend and trcked him. He really didnt bleed at all and luckly he was lying in an open area and we could see him about 50 yds away. So we got my buck. Ended up being a 6 point with perfect velvet.
Deffently starting to be a great year. Here are some pics and sorry for the long post.

Oo sorry about the pics didnt no how to use that camera and it was set on night mode. So i tried to darkn the pics up the best i could.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:26 AM

Default RE: Velvet Buck

One More
Old 09-10-2007, 11:26 AM

last one
Old 09-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congratulations! I'd love to get a velvet buck someday!
Old 09-10-2007, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

great job love those deer in velvet!
Old 09-10-2007, 11:48 AM

congratulations. Excellent buck.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice buck, congrats
Old 09-10-2007, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great work on setting a goal and working hard to achieve it. Nice buck!
Old 09-10-2007, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

That is a nice velvet buck, way to go!
Old 09-10-2007, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats on the deer!!!

Quick Reply: Velvet Buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.