Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 shooting deer above the shoulder >

shooting deer above the shoulder

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooting deer above the shoulder

Old 09-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: shooting deer above the shoulder

ORIGINAL: mufan

I think it is a matter of determining what we are calling the shoulder. Tell me if this is correct......The scapula is connected to the shoulder joint which is connected to the elbow. The three together make a > shape. If this is correct then I always thought the elbow was the shoulder. So I thought the best place to shoot it was right behind the elbow which I thought was the shoulder. Actually, I know a whole bunch of misguided people who think that way as well.
I'd say your incorrect. What your calling an elbow is what I call a joint that defines in combination what makes up the shoulder. The "shoulder" isn't defined by a joint, a bone but the combination of joints, bones, muscles and tendons not unlike our own. The front legs do not join the whitetails trunk (body) by a joint. Anyone that has skinned, and butchered a whitetail knows this. You can removed the front leg without cutting a single "bone/joint" but by simply slicing the mucles from the back/underside of the leg (shoulder). They do not have a ball and socket joint like we do.

The Scapula followed by the bone, joint and next bone joint make up the shoulder along with the muscles necessary to hold it all together and joins the leg/shoulder to the trunk. Above this is spine and air, through it and behind it is where the major organs lie.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:23 PM

ORIGINAL: mufan

I've always took behind the shoulder to mean behind the shoulder joint where the leg connects into the body. Does it actually mean that > -shaped area created by the scapula and shoulder. Which to me looks to be above the shoulder.
Looking and the same thing you are, I's BEHIND the shoulder. Above the shoulder is the neck.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:20 PM
Spike

I don't understand your post blumpie
Old 09-11-2007, 04:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Diver, I mean muf, just put ths shot behind the shoulder about 4 inches. It's really not complicated.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

Can we get those detailed pictures for elk and bear? Those are very informative and I think would be a good sticky at the top for each animal.

Reid
Old 09-11-2007, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: WARedBear

Can we get those detailed pictures for elk and bear? Those are very informative and I think would be a good sticky at the top for each animal.

Reid
Cant post the images if someone could help. Heres the website for the black bear anatomy, skeleton, muscle, organs, circulatory and shot placments for different angles. If a bear is broadside make sure its closest front paw is in front of the far paw not behind.
http://www.theidahosportsman.com/bear%20anatomy.pdf

Old 09-11-2007, 05:42 PM

I think what Mufan is describing as "Above the shoulder" is what we call "Above the elbow". Yes the lungs and arteries and heart and all the goods are right their. I don't think he really means above the "Shoulder Blade"
like it sounds.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Behind the shoulder for me with a bow.