Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 shooting deer above the shoulder >

shooting deer above the shoulder

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooting deer above the shoulder

Old 09-10-2007, 06:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: shooting deer above the shoulder

this year, im going to follow the legs up...once im out of the leg and just in the body im lettin loose. if i hit where im sending it, its a heart shot. if it ducks, im still lung. left and right i got a good couple inches to still hit lung. if i hit low i shave the leg and he aughta be fine. last year i made the mistake of aiming mid body. ontop of that he started to duck to run..arrow hit him way high above the spine and lung. aimed too high and shot at an alert deer. lessons learned
Old 09-10-2007, 06:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rob, I'd have to say that is one of the best diagrams that I have seen (and I have seen a lot). Although it does not show it (but I can still picture it from the diagram), a lot of people do not realize how low the spine actual comes down in the shoulder, neck area. Believe it or not the deer pictured below was actually spined. You wouldn't happen to have a skeleton diagram from that set would you?

Old 09-10-2007, 07:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Rob, I'd have to say that is one of the best diagrams that I have seen (and I have seen a lot). Although it does not show it (but I can still picture it from the diagram), a lot of people do not realize how low the spine actual comes down in the shoulder, neck area. Believe it or not the deer pictured below was actually spined. You wouldn't happen to have a skeleton diagram from that set would you?

Bob, the whole series....

http://forums.mathewsinc.com/viewtopic.php?t=21358

It's also linked in the Recovery thread.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Old 09-10-2007, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot a deer a little high and it went thru the scapula an grazed off the bottom of the spine and went downward from there. I was surprised how low the spine was when I seen that. That was the first time I realized it.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Rob.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont see the heart above the shoulder! I believe the heart lies very low in the chest cavity. Not sure how you would catch the heart if you shot above the shoulder. Just put it in the boiler room and you will be in business.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:24 PM
Spike

I think it is a matter of determining what we are calling the shoulder. Tell me if this is correct......The scapula is connected to the shoulder joint which is connected to the elbow. The three together make a > shape. If this is correct then I always thought the elbow was the shoulder. So I thought the best place to shoot it was right behind the elbow which I thought was the shoulder. Actually, I know a whole bunch of misguided people who think that way as well.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Mathews boy.... there is NO Ball and Socket on a deers front leg.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

now I am getting confused

Quick Reply: shooting deer above the shoulder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.