Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 shooting deer above the shoulder >

shooting deer above the shoulder

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooting deer above the shoulder

Old 09-09-2007, 08:19 PM
Spike

Default shooting deer above the shoulder

Hi,
I was studying some pictures of a deers anatomy and noticed that a shot above the shoulder looks to be a pretty good one. There is a bunch of arteries and a lot of lung to hit in this area. I acidentally shot a deer above the shoulder several years ago and hit it right in the heart (and apparently the lungs as well from these diagrams).

How come this is typically considered a bad place to shoot? If the deer's front leg on the shooting side is way back this looks like an ideal shot.Am I missing something?
Old 09-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: shooting deer above the shoulder

It's not one I would intentionally try, the heart and lungs are and will forever be your best bet.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:30 PM

With a high powered rifle, that's almost a perfect shot. It will cause death almost instantly....

With a bow? I would never try it..That scapula is pretty darn thick....
Old 09-09-2007, 08:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here, above the shoulder is a low percentage shot...
Old 09-09-2007, 08:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Some of you folks got to be looking at different anatomy pictures than me. This is the bowhunting forum so I assume you're talking bow. There is a lot of room for error in that area. You want a lot of arteries and veins, they're right there in the middle of the lungs. The lungs are NOTabove the shoulder. If you're shooting from above like straight down, the center of them is behind the shoulder. I've NeVER heard anyone or read where anyone suggested shooting above the shoulders with a bow.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:16 PM
Spike

Here is the picture i am looking at

http://www.whitetails.com/deer_info/deer_anatomy.cfm

It looks like there is a lot of room and vitals in the v shaped area made by the scapula and shoulder. I could see how this would be a bad choice from a tree stand due to the scapula but if shooting from the ground then it looks like a pretty good shot if that's all you've got.

However, if the leg on the shooting side is back then what does the scapula do? I would like to see a picture with a deer in this position to see how much of the vitals the scapula covers up. I've drawn back on deer and they have spotted me in this position before. Anybody have a picture?
Old 09-09-2007, 09:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Well hell boy. The rest of us don't call that "Above the shoulder. We call that behind the shoulder which is the sweet spot most of us aim for on a slam dunk. I thought you were saying, and I think others did too, above the scapula. I'll aim right there in a heart beat on a slam dunk. As range increases I'll aim a little off it(back a little) to enlarge the kill radius on a marginal shot.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:55 AM
Spike

I've always took behind the shoulder to mean behind the shoulder joint where the leg connects into the body. Does it actually mean that > -shaped area created by the scapula and shoulder. Which to me looks to be above the shoulder.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some one correct me if Im wrong but I believe the joint I circled is the shoulder. Behind it is your highest percentage shot.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would have to say the Shoulder is the Ball and Socket. Then the Front or Pin of the shoulder next below that and then the Elbow.. I shoot Up from Elbow and Behind Pin of Shoulder which Equals SWEET SPOT..

Quick Reply: shooting deer above the shoulder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.