Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is this /fair chase? >

Is this /fair chase?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is this /fair chase?

Old 09-10-2007, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is this ethical/fair chase?

After looking at many trail cam pictures on this site I bet 90% of them are after dark so unless you are going to be hunting around midnight for these nocturnal brutes how are the trailcams gonna help you. I realize that during the rut the bucks routine changes but the chances of you being in the right place at the right time are far to none. But as far as bait piles go the does are going to come to the baitpile everyday and if the does come guess what will follow. Bait piles are not just unethical they are about like hunting in a high fence preserve. IMO
Old 09-10-2007, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm an UNETHICAL, UNFAIR, Trail Camera Using Freak from the U.P and Proud of It.!
Old 09-10-2007, 11:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Mathewsboy

I'm an UNETHICAL, UNFAIR, Trail Camera Using Freak from the U.P and Proud of It.!
You got the freak part right anyway!lmao
Old 09-10-2007, 11:47 AM

ORIGINAL: iowabob85

After looking at many trail cam pictures on this site I bet 90% of them are after dark so unless you are going to be hunting around midnight for these nocturnal brutes how are the trailcams gonna help you. I realize that during the rut the bucks routine changes but the chances of you being in the right place at the right time are far to none. But as far as bait piles go the does are going to come to the baitpile everyday and if the does come guess what will follow. Bait piles are not just unethical they are about like hunting in a high fence preserve. IMO
I could only wish it was like that!
Old 09-10-2007, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: iowabob85

And I thought the original post was stupid...
Old 09-10-2007, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

Well if a game camera breaks the fair chase rule then so does:
1. a stand
2. a weapon
3. camo
4. removing your scent in anyway
5. anything else beyond what an animal uses
You want to fair chase then get out there like the coyote, lion, or bear and do it with your bare hands (no rock). As has been stated above...you hunt an oak tree, apple tree, water hole, game trail, choke point or anything else that is going to draw an animal into a spot and it is the same as baiting. If it is legal than by all means do it if you want to and don't if you don't agree with it. Using a trail camera doesn't mean that the animal of my dreams is going to come back when I'm there or present the killer shot. It is all by chance. Watch any animal show and they will show you how they use what they have and know to increase their odds at eating that day. They hunt in packs, seek out the weak or wounded, stake out food sources and water holes and even send out scouts (like our game cams ).

We did several classes at our church on ethics. We covered all sort of ethical areas from medical to sexual to war and peace. I did the class on war and peace and most of the people are for peace. But mention WWII and the situation then and how the nation responded and war wasn't so bad (older crowd). It was nothing to loose thousands of men to take a hill or island and they went on to the next one. Because they agreed it was a good cause. Move to today and we freak out that over 3,000 men and women have lost their lives in Iraq and Afganistan. Times change and so do our ideas of what is right and wrong.

Hunt the way you feel comfortable with and don't look down on those who have a different (legal) way of doing it.

My 2 cents worth
Reid
Old 09-12-2007, 11:15 AM

Exactly so I will now drop this and hunt out of my stand over my bait!
Old 09-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Drizzu:

I'm intrigued to learn your definition of "fair chase"; What does NOT belong in "fair chase".....and what is acceptable to you.

Serious question. I'd just like to know.

There are no wrong answers......it's only opinion.