HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   how long do you keep a bow? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/206005-how-long-do-you-keep-bow.html)

standsleeper 09-07-2007 03:48 PM

how long do you keep a bow?

I've hadmine for 3 years.I remember someone told me they keep a bow for 5 years. They said it was because a bow starts to lose power after a while. Is this true?

[/align]

patchholder 09-07-2007 03:52 PM

RE: how long do you keep a bow?

I don't believe theywould lose much power if they did it would be cause of string and cable stretch or something like limb pockets or something wearing out wich can be replaced, no reason to replace the whole bow, alot of times you can twist the cables and string up a little if you lose a pound or two.

Michigan hunter14 09-07-2007 03:56 PM

I shot the same old early 90's Darton for about 6 years and it was already used by my dad for 5 or so years before that. As long as you take care of it and keep up with the up keep, they last for awhile.

I never noticed a loss of fps or power.

Rob/PA Bowyer 09-07-2007 03:58 PM

They don't lose power...the strings and cables may creep causing you to lose weight however, you should be changing strings and cables sooner than that....every bow can be tweaked back to factory specs.

TX_Hoghunter 09-07-2007 03:58 PM

My first one I bought in the late '80's and traded it in 2 years ago on a used Mathews LX, Last year I traded the LX in for a Drenlin. The first one was a Stemmler compound. Most will tell you that they never made one. The guy that I trade it to is pretty big in P&Y. He sent the bow up to be put in the musuem.

-john

hardcorehunter 09-07-2007 04:06 PM

1-2 years. Sometimes 6 months. I get bored quickly.

standsleeper 09-07-2007 04:29 PM

[/align]The voice of reason. I know you guys are right. This is my second post about new bows in 2 days. I think I might be coming down with something. " The Fever!!!!!!" I need to just settle into the fact that I don't need a new bow. Thanks guys.

JeramyK 09-07-2007 05:15 PM

I have kept my first and second bows. The first was a Black Bear by Bear Archery. That was back in87-88. The 2nd is a PSE Fire-Flite Elite. I believe I bought that one around 1992.The rest of my bows are 4years or less.

JimPic 09-07-2007 05:39 PM

From last September,I bought 14 custom recurves and longbows.I kept 6 of them.I'll probably hold onto 3 or 4 of these for awhile

bigzombee69 09-07-2007 06:46 PM

My Ole lady could kill me if she knew, 2years,7 bows

Stated off with old PSE Polaris
traded that for Browning Mirage 2
traded that and 12 gauge for Bowtech Liberty 80lbs
traded that for Bowtech Allegiance 80#
traded that for Darton Maverick Extreme +Case and dz ACC
Purchased Darton Tempest 80#
Traded Tempest for Bowtech Commander

I told her not to wash my hunting cloths.