Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 how long do you keep a bow? >

how long do you keep a bow?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how long do you keep a bow?

Old 09-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: how long do you keep a bow?

I normally keep a bow around 8 years, at least that's how long I've kept each of the previous 2. This will be my current bows 4th year. I may get another one, but this one will still most likely be the primary hunter.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:41 AM
Typical Buck

mathews blkmax and mq1 ive had like 10yrs..i think..?? i just havent killed enough deer to buy
a new bow...and they are plenty fast. i work to much i think i will kill a few this year though..
we will see.season starts today and i hunt monday
Old 09-08-2007, 10:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I still every bow I have hunted with! Never sold them, no need to!
Old 09-08-2007, 10:49 AM

ORIGINAL: IUSEPSE

What I did was this. I have my old Bear Whitetail that I leave hanging on the hook over my work bench. This is in the garage where the wife keeps her car so she see's it all the time. Now, the wife, she don't know one bow from the other you see. I got two new bows over the last 5 years and she don't know cause I put them in the attic and keep them out of her sight. My plan is to get another bow in a year or two and tell her about it. "Well honey, its been 15 years since my last bow, time for a new one." I then take one of the other two out and replace the one on the hook and keep the rotation going. Very simple and keeps me off the do-do list.
....I'm never getting married.....

Well anyway, i just bought my first bow (Drenalin)and it cost me a lot of cash so hopefully i can keep it for 6-7 years.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:49 PM

Depends, I've had my 2006Hoyt Trykon fora little over a year now & don't plan to change any time soon, I've had a 2003 Hoyt Razortec since they come out & sold it not too long ago, but I've had a 1998 Hoyt Raptor till I bought my Razortec & before that I had a 1992 Hoyt Spectra till2005 when my Dad dryfired it & destroyed the top limb..

Before those bows, I still have a 1985 Hoyt Rambo bow, & a 1979 Ben Pearson model 250 bow, & a1970 Bear Grizzly Recurve that my Dad bought back then "I still shoot the Recurve every once in a while...

I shoot for competition a 2006 Hoyt Trykon XL & again don't plan to upgrade any time soon.

in all my bows "that I shoot" I replace the string & cables at least once a year "except the target bow it gets2 sets a year" no matter how many shots I put through them & have never had any begin to dissapoint me on their performance, like my Trykon will recieve a new set after the hunting season in January & my Trykon XL will be on it's 3rd set come December "I shoot anywhere around 150-250 arrows minimum a week through my target bow & maybe 24-60 arrows minimum through my hunting bow so by the time I replace my strings through each of them they would have had rughly 11000 shots through the target bow & roughly 3000 shots through my hunting bow.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:27 PM
Fork Horn

At least 5-6 years
Old 09-09-2007, 07:36 PM

I got a Magnatec '02 model last year and I have no reason whatsoever to get rid of it. It shoots and performs flawlessly and I've outdone a few of my buddies with $800+ in their rigs. But next year I'll probably bite the bullet and get a new Vectrix or whatever new fancier contraption Hoyt has. But I'll be keeping my Magnatec as the backup rig.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:21 AM

Usually every couple of years I switch it up but I always end up back at Hoyt.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:23 AM
Bartender

Until it misses a deer
Old 09-10-2007, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

My bow is 5 years old and I will be keeping it for as long as I can.. We have a 15 month old at home and working on another.. Hard to justify replacing a bow and it perfectly fine. The string however has one more season in it and then that will be replaced.

A few weeks back I was at the range shooting and there was a guy with a real old PSE and his groups were half the size as mine. Unfortunately I can't blame my gear..

Quick Reply: how long do you keep a bow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.