Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Different camo patterns >

Different camo patterns

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Different camo patterns

Old 09-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default Different camo patterns

If any of you are like me, you have a coat(s) in one pattern of camo and pants in a different pattern of camo, hats, gloves, all different patterns. Many years of buying a piece of clothing here and there will do that to a guy.

Do you think the different patterns I wear on top and bottom are more detectable to deer than if i was wearing the same pattern head to toe?

I would sayNO. As long as you are well concealed, the point of camo is to break up your outline..

Just curious as to what others think.

Thanks in advance!! Good luck to everyone!!

Old 09-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Different camo patterns

I think you have the basic concept, I will sometimes mix and match but I buy head to toe matching camo now
Old 09-06-2007, 10:32 AM
Dominant Buck

If anything you'd be less detectable, it's hard to focus on two differing things at once.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:43 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the input. I rec'd a couple matching camo outfits the last couple years for x-mas from the old man, thanks dad! So i'll try using them a bit more and see if that makes any difference.
It just seems sometimes the deer just stop and nail me right to the tree, maybe its the different camo. Who knows, anyways good luck to all,,
8 days away until we start for the season! Can't wait!!!

Old 09-06-2007, 11:48 AM

my take on it is that mix-n-match is fine, but if ya wanna be sure, add on some of the 3d stuff over the top... most of it seems pretty in expensive and imho is some of the best i've seen for woods... when i was in the infantry it was common for us to "camo-up" using leaves and branches attached to us, the 3D stuff is the much quieter and more functional version of that...
Old 09-06-2007, 03:11 PM

last year i had mix n match stuff, this year i bought a bunch of new realtree AP so thats what im rockin this year.
I would say tho that its not the camo exactly that does the breaking up.. you've gotta have cover to help break you up. thats what ive found anyway when i was learning. i used to set up with me being in the open and now i set up w/ more cover and havent had that problem. a lot of the reason people get nailed is movement, I think anyway
Old 09-06-2007, 05:57 PM
Spike

It's just one man's opinion, but I don't think mixing is a problem or that it really matters if you use, for example, Realtree AP versus Realtree HD. It's mostly marketing around what is most appealing to the buyer. To me, most camo patterns are too dark and you tend to look like a dark blob up in a tree.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

I saw be careful mixing and matching only if your camo difference creat a line between the two. For instance, an open pattern pair of pants and the blob effect of Mossy Oak.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:19 AM

I use all different types at the same time and I don't think it makes one bit of difference.I hunt 25 ft high out of my climber and I don't get seen by the deer. I believe most of the camo is made to catch the hunters. I could kill deer in military camo just as good as realtree.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: breakaleg
I use all different types at the same time and I don't think it makes one bit of difference.I hunt 25 ft high out of my climber and I don't get seen by the deer. I believe most of the camo is made to catch the hunters. I could kill deer in military camo just as good as realtree.
I would tend to disagree with that somewhat. If you saw what your mismatched camo looked like in sepia tones, as deer see it, against your backround then you may be suprised.Being 25 feet up probably helps you out alot breakaleg, but for guys that are on the ground or only 15 to 20 feet up I would think its more important to get every advantage you can.

Do you think the different patterns I wear on top and bottom are more detectable to deer than if i was wearing the same pattern head to toe?
I would say yes in most situations, more so if you dont get up so high in stands. Anything that could catch a deer atention is not worth risking IMO. To me, you need to do2 things if you want your camo to work, break up your outline, and blend in with your background whatever it may be.

Quick Reply: Different camo patterns

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.