Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bow vs Gun, what do you think? >

Bow vs Gun, what do you think?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow vs Gun, what do you think?

Old 09-05-2007, 07:43 PM

Default RE: Bow vs Gun, what do you think?

ORIGINAL: BigJ12

Bow vs Gun.....

Both can be equally challenging and equally as tough. A 50yd shot from a stand with a rifled slug gun is pretty easy. A 50yd shot with an iron sighted revolver difficult. A30yd shot from a bow in a tree stand.....easy, same shot with an open sighted 4 5/8 barreledsixgun.....NOT easy. I know, I've done them both.

The problem is when bow hunters talk about "guns" they automatically think a high powered rifle or a slug gun and they automatically think their quarry is standing there broadside at 50yds.This tends to make us look like"elitist" as bow hunters and turns my stomach to no end.

The truth of the matter is there are easy and difficult shots with both types of weapons. Having been a shooter all of my life like most here I can tell you with out any reservation that I would rather shoot a deer at 40yds with my compound bow than a deer at 300yds with my rifle. To me the 40yd compound shot is way easier.

When I see a picture of a deer taken with a gun, I don't ask the circumstances behind the hunt, I just congratulate the shooter for a nice deer. For all I know it was an extremely difficult shot (long range, close stalk etc..) that only a very skilled and confidenthunter/shooter could have pulled off.

Generally speaking, bow hunting is probably slightly more difficult due only to the closer range and movement that must be made in order to get a shot off.But that's generally speaking.....make no mistake about it there are some aspects and types of gun hunting that are far more difficult than shooting a compound or traditional bow.

As far as traditional (long & recurve) bow hunting is concerned, sure that's probably the most difficult form of bow hunting there is.......but the same can be said for hunting with a traditional gun and I'm not talking about a new muzzle loaders either, I'm talking about a true traditional firearm. How about a smooth bore flintlock. See how many deer you can kill when you have a half second delay from when the powder goes off in the pan (no that won't spook the deer)to when the gun shoots, if it even does! Then take into consideration that with a smooth bore (no rifling) yourshooting "knuckle balls" and your shots must be inside of 30yds to even come close to hitting what you are aiming at. Good luck with a second shot....after all of the smoke clears I'm sure you can ask Mr.Buck to "stick around" while you reload.Add in a little rainto the mix and wet feather fletchings will seem like a walk in the park compared to a wet powder pan.

I gun hunt and I will continue to do so for as long as I can get my self into the field, I will also bow hunt as well. I enjoy all forms of hunting and have done enough of them to know that all can be equally challenging and difficult in their own way and none more than the other.
I wish I would have read this one before I posted. I couldn't agree more with you. For those that look down or are unimpressed at any levelwith gun hunting, you bring up a good point; try gun hunting with a pistol or a true traditional firearm. Even in the best conditions, hitting abullseye with an old muzzle loader with regular open sights is hard. New m/l's can be accurate out to 250 yds with the right opticsbut for most people (average shooters/hunters/not pro) shooting a traditional m/l andhitting the target at 100 yards would be dumb luck.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well, if we are going to compare apples to apples then why is the buck at a 100 yards a sure thing for the rifle? You practice all year and miss at 16yds but the gun can't miss at a 100 ydsbecause it is just so easy with a rifle, right? And then, if it were a muzzleloader or better yet a shotgun (can't use rifles in MD)how easy is that?
See where I'm going with this?

I'm more impressed with a muzzleloader than I am a rifle especially if it's traditional, flintlock over inline with scope.

Bow hunting has its difficulties that make it much different than gun hunting but, depending on the gun, gun hunting has its difficulties that make its kills just as impressive.
But is that better "hunting" or just a better snyper? I could care less if a rifle hunter shoots a 1000 yards one the majority of rifle hunters cannot make but I'm not impressed with the "hunting ability" of this person, I am impressed with the shooters shooting ability but not hunting, again, more impressive witha bow.

I am not trying to sway your opinion or anyone elses, I am just presenting a different opinion, one that thinks all hunting is impressive and doesn't need to denigrate one method to elevate another.
Not denigrating anyone, just more mpressed when something is taken with a bow.

Jim Shockey only hunts with a muzzleloader but you would tell me that kandi kisky's bow kills are more impressive than his muzzleloader kills?
I absolutley am more impressed with Kandi Kisky's bow kills than I would be Jim Shockeys muzzleloader deer. He shoots impressive animals, it would be more impressive if he shot those same animals with a bow but it is more impressive than a rifle.

The truth of the matter is there are easy and difficult shots with both types of weapons. Having been a shooter all of my life like most here I can tell you with out any reservation that I would rather shoot a deer at 40yds with my compound bow than a deer at 300yds with my rifle. To me the 40yd compound shot is way easier.
I agree BigJ12 however, I'm more impressed with a guy who got to 40 yards with his bow than 300 yards with a rifle....shooting 300 yards with a rifle at a whitetail or elk just says someone is a great shot with a rifle, says nothing of their hunting ability. This person could be 10x's a better hunter than I however, then stalk or get the animal at 40 yards....and still, the bowkill is more impressive...cause which is easier, 40 yards with a bow or 40 yards with rifle.

And I wouldn't argue with you.

try gun hunting with a pistol or a true traditional firearm. Even in the best conditions, hitting abullseye with an old muzzle loader with regular open sights is hard. New m/l's can be accurate out to 250 yds with the right opticsbut for most people (average shooters/hunters/not pro) shooting a traditional m/l andhitting the target at 100 yards would be dumb luck.
Exactly, it's more impressive witha pistol over a rifle and also traditional, your making my point. It's more impressive with a flintlock then a inline, again your making my point. It's the level of difficulty and how close you have to get to the game you seek. I'm more impressed with a guy shooting a small 5X5 bull elk that he called in/or stalked or sat over a water hole than I am a P&Y Bull taken across a valley with a rifle...or even in the same water hole at the same distance, level of difficultya nd closeness to game.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

I dont feel no where near as satisfied with a deer I shot with a gun than with a bow.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

When I watch a Drury's tape, I fast forward through the rifle footage to watch the bow footage regardless the size of the animal. I'm not interested in the rifle footage. Sorry.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gun...Bow,Muzzle Loader...heck you guys should try hitting one with a GMC Suburban [&:]50 MPH down hillwith the brakes slammed on,the horn blowing,the radio blairing and me screaming "Get the He!! outta the way"! [:@]

I hit him any ways...wasn't proud of that deer but I ended up throwing him in the back and taking him to have the Sheriff Dept. check him out and give me a paper to have him processed.That was my most expensive deer to date....$2,450.45 to be exact!Now if someone could have hit him with a Yugo,Toyota or Corvette I would have been much more impressed and happier to say the least!
Old 09-05-2007, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like to bowhunt. I also gun hunt. Bowhunting is a tough deal and not everyone can do it. Many joe blows can grab a gun once a year, go out and kill a deer.

However, last year I killed a deer with my bow and with my 30-06. I prefer bowhunting because of its greater challenge. But I also gun hunt, just because I can.

6 to one, half dozen to the other.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

When I watch a Drury's tape, I fast forward through the rifle footage to watch the bow footage regardless the size of the animal. I'm not interested in the rifle footage. Sorry.
I know the feeling, when I am going through the hunting channels if I come across gun hunting I keep looking for bow hunting.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:48 PM
Fork Horn

Yep , you got er boys.Anyone can shoot a Trophy with a rifle at 200+ yds.It is just too easy.You see it all the time and it makes me sick.Turn the tv channel if gun hunt comes on.Like the turkey though.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:55 PM
Fork Horn

I enjoy bow hunting more and I feel it to be more of a challenge. I shotgun hunt as well and to get a big buck with a shotgun I feel is still a challenge. You may be able to take an 80-100 yd shot at the deer but here in Iowa you have 5 days to do so. If bow season was only 5 days long theres NO way most people would even get a shot at a deer andalmost zero chanceof tagging a big buck. Now Im NOT saying gun hunting is harder or takes more skill in any way, because I feel that it doesnt. Im just saying that gun hunting is still hunting reguardless. It still takes an amount of skill and luck, just not as much as archery. Rifle hunting on the other hand--- 300-400 yd shot isnt hunting, the only skill you need is to be able to see a deer and hold a well sighted in gun steady and hit a deer that has no chance what-so-ever.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

My passion is Bowhunting, Bowhunting any legal animal! I do like the gun hunting as well, its a nice break after 2 months of serious Bowhunting, the gun season gives me a bit of time to re-group rest up for another 5 weeks of Bowhunting! Then back to the gun for 3 months of predator hunting!

9 days and counting.............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.