Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shooting young bucks?  Good?  Bad? >

Shooting young bucks? Good? Bad?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting young bucks? Good? Bad?

Old 09-05-2007, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shooting young bucks? Good? Bad?

I've heard both sides;
1. If it's brown it's down - meaning just that. Any legal deer passes the stand and he's dead. That simple. These type people think that the "trophy" hunters just don't want these guys shooting a deer that the “trophy” hunter could shoot one day and are playing a game of trickery on them. These guys I guess are also paranoid on many levels and can be heard at the hunt clubs making statements such as "you can't eat them antlers" and "there ain't no big bucks in my area".
2. Let him go, so he can grow - meaning, well, just that. Pass on the small ones so that they can grow up to be big ones. These people think that the self-proclaimed "meat" hunters don't understand basic logic or formal debate. These people also claim to eat meat (or venison), but it is at least worth mentioning that this has rarely, if ever been witnessed by a true "meat" hunter. These guys can often be heard boasting about passing on small bucks and tell tall tales about tall antlered white tail bucks in their areas. They also commonly engage in rhetoric about shooting does is good for the herd?

So what do you say we settle this for good? Come on dudes, lets hear what you think!

Thanks,

KP

Old 09-05-2007, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shooting young bucks? Good? Bad?

...I'll sit this one out until i get back from my 10:30 class. Gota love college
Old 09-05-2007, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think everyone should do what they are comfortable with, within the law, and not worry about what others are doing .
Old 09-05-2007, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

Here is my practice. I have been hunting for 24 years and have shot plenty of small bucks. I am perfectly content shooting a doe or two to fill the freezer and passing on small bucks. I'll wait for something bigger even if it takes 10 years.
Brian
Old 09-05-2007, 09:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

This is an unsettleable (if that is a word) debate.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do what feels good to you and dont worry about what other people say or think.Any buck with a bow is a trophy in my book.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Well let's see. If you get one tag and no doe tags I'd say you'd whack a 130 pound buck before whacking 80-100 pounds of doe. Lots of areas, like where I live now, don't give you all those doe options. It's a draw here and many don't get a doe tag. With low deer densities and hardly any macho bucks running around, a little 6 or 8 pointer is an acceptable pile of meat. I don't measure racks, eat racks or admire them a whole lot. Most end up as squirrel food in the yard. It's really easy to say shoot a doe or two or 3 or 10 if you have the tags and the population. When I'm in big buck country and haveput a deer in the freezer I get picky, like when I'm in Ohio. I'vepassed up several bucks in Ohio the past couple years that would have been dead at home. If I'm on someone elses property I ask them the rules and abide, but when I'm by myself that basket rack might just catch an arrow. When I'm in the Southern Tier on public land with hoards of hunters he may just catch an arrow. Last year in early bow season I whacked the first decent 8 point I saw.(a 4 day season) After that I let them walk. There is no right or wrong answer to this question. If it's legal it's legal and that really should end the debate. What I choose to shoot or pass on, in no way effects ANYONE else on this board.
These guys I guess are also paranoid on many levels and can be heard at the hunt clubs making statements such as "you can't eat them antlers" and "there ain't no big bucks in my area".
I don't really feel "THESE GUYS" are in any way paranoid. For the most part they enjoy hunting and many have done it probably longer than you've been breathing. Many of them have passed their share of deer also. I don't really know any "If it's brown it's down people". Yes, they do say you can't eat them antlers.... because you really CAN'T. Or at least they taste like crap. You may here them say that one and half year old taste a lot better than that rutted out 5 year old too. And guess what, in most cases they're right.

There really is NO debate here. Just two different groups of hunters. The one group loves to hunt and eat meat. The other group loves to hunt, measure racks and thump their chest when they get a big one. No debate, just hunters doing what is legal. When they make it law we'll all abide. The second group is really the new kid on the block. We didn't hear QDM 10 years ago. 30 years ago most of the Great White Hunters of today wouldn't have gotten a deer or had deer to hunt. The exploding deer populations of the past 20 years have made a lot of "Trophy Hunters" out of people that couldn't even begin to score 30 years ago.

Things change. Maybe QDM will become the thing... maybe it'll pass like the market hunters. Who knows. I do know that the Horn Hunter Craze has cost a lot of people the land they used to beable to hunt for free. It's cost a lot of residents in big buck states places to hunt when the USO outfitters of the world moved in and leased up the back 40 on farmer Dans place. All the year round food plots and bait stations have taken the hunting out of hunting to me. I really hate sitting on a field or bait or deer forage. I'd much rather wander into a deep cedar swamp and see what I see. Some would rather spend thousands of dollars on what they call QDM, when all it is is antler farming. No debate.... just 2 different groups of people trying to kill something. I call it kill... PC correct and QDM people call it "Harvest". I'll call it harvest when they call what I did in Vietnam as Harvesting Dinks. [8D]
Old 09-05-2007, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

I think everyone should do what they are comfortable with, within the law, and not worry about what others are doing .
I couldn't have said it any better.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Fork Horn

What ever makes you happy and is legal. Here isone wall out of 6 of my choice.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

SO basically you want to know if we should:

Whack'em and Stack'em

or

Mount'em and Count'em

? Do what makes you happy..Do it Ethically and Legally and Don't forget...this is a past-time, a Heritage for some, a sport, a hobby, a Passion..whatever But it's suppose to be something we enjoy! Remember fun? it was big back in the 80's !!!

Quick Reply: Shooting young bucks? Good? Bad?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.