Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Nature's Warning Signals >

Nature's Warning Signals

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Nature's Warning Signals

Old 09-03-2007, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default Nature's Warning Signals

I was sitting on my deck this morning and there was a blue jay squawking his head off in the woods behind my house. It made me start thinking of the times I've been in a treestand and heard something like that...that gave me a heads up that a deer was approaching. It doesn't always end up being a deer (one that I can see anyway), but it definitely puts me on high alert whenever I hear it.

How many times have you guys heard a jay squawk, a squirrel start barking, or a wood hen blast off with their crazy alarm call that gave away a deer making it's way through the woods?
Old 09-03-2007, 08:44 AM

Default RE: Nature's Warning Signals

when the deer start busting out of there that means the *&^%& hogs are coming...........
Old 09-03-2007, 08:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah its usually the squirrels that give them away in my area I just hate when they climb the tree five away frommy head and start barking at me Little B&$!&^*$ [8D]
Old 09-03-2007, 08:48 AM

i was sitting in a tree yesterday morning just to see what i would see and the limbs were dripping with tree rats. luckily none spotted me, but they did announce a doe and 2 fawns approaching.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:49 AM

This is kind of off topic, but it really irritates me, and yet makes me laugh silently when a doe starts blowing and stomping their foot at me. They know something is there, but just haven't found it yet.[8D]
Old 09-03-2007, 08:54 AM

ORIGINAL: ETexashunter

This is kind of off topic, but it really irritates me, and yet makes me laugh silently when a doe starts blowing and stomping their foot at me. They know something is there, but just haven't found it yet.[8D]
also had this yesterday playing with a fawn in distress call. really tugs on those maternal heart strings. haha.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:58 AM
Host of Hosts

Yeah its usually the squirrels that give them away in my area I just hate when they climb the tree five away frommy head and start barking at me Little B&$!&^*$ [8D]
Yeah it works both ways. Although it seems the little SOB's give me away alot more than they give away a deer.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

When the small perching/songbirds start squaking... thats usually when the deer start coming in, or they've spotted me.

Whenever the does and fawns stop eating and stare in one direction, usually that the direction that other deer are coming in.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I pay attention when a squirrel starts chattering. I try not to alarm them, they will dime you out as well.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

I got one for ya. Im usually just sitting in the stand in the afternoon gazing around and when that little cold snap hits about 20-40 mins before dark. You know the one Im talking about, where its seems to drop about 20 degrees in just seconds. That sets me on high alert and ready for em to walk out any time.

Quick Reply: Nature's Warning Signals

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.