Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Cool Video! 74 yd. shot on a bear >

Cool Video! 74 yd. shot on a bear

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cool Video! 74 yd. shot on a bear

Old 09-03-2007, 08:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Cool Video! 74 yd. shot on a bear

ORIGINAL: Predator19

2 words.......MORE ON
haha, I hope that was supposed to be a joke...
Old 09-03-2007, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: m00sedrool

ORIGINAL: Dr Andy

ORIGINAL: James Vee

Am I the only one that wants to give this dude a high five and tell him great shot on a great bear? Job well done, bear rug on the way!
Marginal shot or not you're right he got the job done. At least he admitted it was a marginal shot. How often do you see a marginal shot on TV and the guy brags on what a great shot it was! At least he fessed-up. I won't shoot past 30 but thats me you gotta know your own limitations!
Job well done? Who knows how long that bear suffered and how far it went after being gut shot. Again...I'm betting without dogs, he goeshome empty handed. Just because the end result is a dead bear doesn't make it a good job in my book. And as far as admitting it was a marginal hit....hello...you took a ridiculously long shot and hoped it would make contact somewhere. You can disagree all you want, but that's just irresponsible on his part.
Agreed James Vee and Andy. Like I said before, if you can make a 74 yard shot, then why not do it? And hell, moosedrool, it killed the bear. Do you know what bears can take? Have you ever read "The Great Alaskan Bear Tales" by Larry Kanuit? Bears can take multiple shots to the heart and skull and continue to live with calibers like .375 H&H. Of course, the bears adrenalin is pumping and the bears were furious... But the thing I'm trying to get at here is that there is nothing wrong with a gut shot. Nothing at all. In some people opinion, a gut shot is better than a heart shot because the heart cannot pump blood after being shot, therefore, a smaller blood trail. Definitely not irresponsible. Hell... for all you know, this guy could be the "Babe Ruth" of bowhunting. He killed the bear. Done deal. If you're experience enough to do it, then by god be an over achiever.

Excellent shot for 74 yards!
Old 09-03-2007, 09:03 PM

Am I the only one that wants to give this dude a high five and tell him great shot on a great bear? Job well done, bear rug on the way!
The end doesn't justify the means. Occasionally a good thing can happen from a very bad decision...hopefully it doesn't encourage him to try it again the next time.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Chris_H

ORIGINAL: m00sedrool

ORIGINAL: Dr Andy

Marginal shot or not you're right he got the job done. At least he admitted it was a marginal shot. How often do you see a marginal shot on TV and the guy brags on what a great shot it was! At least he fessed-up. I won't shoot past 30 but thats me you gotta know your own limitations!
Job well done? Who knows how long that bear suffered and how far it went after being gut shot. Again...I'm betting without dogs, he goeshome empty handed. Just because the end result is a dead bear doesn't make it a good job in my book. And as far as admitting it was a marginal hit....hello...you took a ridiculously long shot and hoped it would make contact somewhere. You can disagree all you want, but that's just irresponsible on his part.
Agreed James Vee and Andy. Like I said before, if you can make a 74 yard shot, then why not do it? And hell, moosedrool, it killed the bear. Do you know what bears can take? Have you ever read "The Great Alaskan Bear Tales" by Larry Kanuit? Bears can take multiple shots to the heart and skull and continue to live with calibers like .375 H&H. Of course, the bears adrenalin is pumping and the bears were furious... But the thing I'm trying to get at here is that there is nothing wrong with a gut shot. Nothing at all. In some people opinion, a gut shot is better than a heart shot because the heart cannot pump blood after being shot, therefore, a smaller blood trail. Definitely not irresponsible. Hell... for all you know, this guy could be the "Babe Ruth" of bowhunting. He killed the bear. Done deal. If you're experience enough to do it, then by god be an over achiever.

Excellent shot for 74 yards!
He OBVIOUSLY wasn't good enough to take the shot and again, HAD the animal (bear) not moved the shot would have been worse! LUCK, PURE LUCK it turned out the way it did.

I'd bet the truth of the matter is they would have NEVER found that bear without the dogs....PATHETIC shot! Let's all take HAIL MARY shots, who cares if we hit the deer in the guts, the dogs will find them.

PATHETIC!

And in the words of Forest Gump. "And that's all I have to say about that. "
Old 09-03-2007, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Initially I had not planned on posting at all on this thread. But after reading three pages of bandwagon flaming for a bear killed with archery tackle at a distance of 74 yards I thought I would say a word for those of us who do not make congratulatory posts on threads where a flaming is inevitable.

That being said, on behalf of those posters who wish to congratulate the hunter on a job well done, CONGRATULATIONS.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:12 PM

But the thing I'm trying to get at here is that there is nothing wrong with a gut shot. Nothing at all. In some people opinion, a gut shot is better than a heart shot because the heart cannot pump blood after being shot, therefore, a smaller blood trail. Definitely not irresponsible.

Holy cow! do you really believe that a gut shot is better than a heart shot.[]

CB
Old 09-03-2007, 09:30 PM

ORIGINAL: jsay

Personally, I don't really care who the shooter was. A 75 yard shot is unethical. Too many things can happen and I don't care if the archer practices everyday on a target at 100 yards, that target isn't moving.
I dont know if I really agree with alot of these statements. I personally would probly never even think of trying that even though I am sure I can make it.

75 yds. at a huge animallike a buffalo or an elk for example wouldnt be that far fetched in my opinion for the right shooter. Heck I have seen videos where guys have taken turkeys at 50 yds. and a javalina at 55-60 yds.

It all depends on the shooter .

From what I could tell it looked like that arrow caught the bear in the vitals too. I didnt think it looked like a bad hit but the hunter probly hadnt seen it in slow motion.

I thought it was a hell of a shot. Now would I try that on a bear? Heck no.

Would I try it on another animal? Possibly depending on the size of the animal and the conditions,etc.

Last year I shot a turkey target at a 3-D shoot that was at least 70 yds. Does that mean it would be ethical for me to take that shot at a real turkey? Heck no.

Would it be ethical for me to take a 70 yd. shot on a moose? Only I can decide that.

Rick
Old 09-03-2007, 09:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Why didn't the Moron just use a gun???? Thats the thrill of bowhunting, getting them in close!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-04-2007, 05:09 AM
Fork Horn

First of all, I know there are idiots out there attempting these shots on wild game animals. So he shot the bear at 74 yards, big deal, how many more are missed at those long ranges. So you take the long shots on game so occasionally people can slap you on the back and say way to go. We never hear, nor do we want to, about the misses and much worse wounded animals taken from marginal shots.

And what about a company that uses this for marketing their products. PATHETIC!

If I've offended somebody, I meant to!

Dan
Old 09-04-2007, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

You have got to be kidding me!! You can't possibly be serious!

Quick Reply: Cool Video! 74 yd. shot on a bear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.