Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rating Your Shooting Ability >

Rating Your Shooting Ability

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
World Class
5.99%
Very Good
16.17%
Better Than Average
44.91%
Average
31.14%
Below Average
1.20%
Pretty Poor
0.60%
Lost Cause
0%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Rating Your Shooting Ability

Old 08-31-2007, 07:50 PM

Default RE: Rating Your Shooting Ability

I chose average. I'd like to think that if I stacked up my 3d scores I'd be in the better than average category, and I'm comparing myself to other bowhunters not tourney shooter, but I know I have plenty of room to improve on various aspects of shooting.

Ken
Old 08-31-2007, 08:23 PM

i'd say better than average. (although i've never killed a deer with it) i rarely miss what i'm intending to hit with my hunting bow. with a recurve, i placed 13th on the east coast in 2006 in my division.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:24 PM

Tune thousands of bows a year. Tune both right and left-handed bows up to 100# drawweight. Tune any draw length. Sight in bows for others and can usually take someone's bow and show them how to properly shoot it for more consistency.In fact, it's rare that I can't help someone improve their shooting abilities.

Hunt with a release on each hand in the event I have to shoot the bow with the opposite hand; and, I've done it successfullymany times and at some rather long distances. Can shoot 1" groups consistently at 20 yards with 75# hunting rig using either hand with the same bow.

How do you think I rated my shooting ability?

Old 08-31-2007, 08:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'd never be so bold to rate myself as world class but I could compete with anyone, so very good was good enough for me. No matter who you are,
there is always a good day and a bad day, room for improvement and you cannot win every one of them. I've never met a pro shooter who considered themselves "world class".
Old 08-31-2007, 08:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I rated myself above average.

I used to be very,very good,not quite world class.I have seen world class shooters,shot with a few.I have shot with very good shooters as welland I am not there anymore but I am well above average.

I have friends that would probably rate me very very good but they haven't seen what I have seen when it comes to archery.I am nowhere near some of those people out there.

I think people would be surprised at what some can do with a stick,string and an arrow.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Classifying our ability is relative.Relative to the guys at the local clubs someone might be very good,relative to competitors at a regional or state 3d shoot someone may be average,relative to competing at a national 3d tournament or vegas someone might be below average.
I know that there is no one here that would want me shooting at them from 60 yards and in.I attended a three day coaching workshop a few years ago for archery instruction and I will never forget a comment the instructor said when a guy would get cocky about their ability,he would say you are pretty good as long as you stay in your own zip code.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't really know, don't really care if I can "beat" others shooting....It would be hard to compare anyway....I don't use a release, I prefer to shoot fingers, its about releasing the arrow, not pulling the trigger...I don't use a peep sight, stabilizer, drop rest, or carbon arrows...My bow has 2 pins, one set for 15 yards and one at 25....

I do know, when I decide to release an arrow at a deer, it's dead.

To me, it's not a competition, it's about a clean kill...And knowing when to shoot and when not to.

I'm good enough that I have killed many squirrels and rabbits, out to 25 yards with my bow....That's what matters.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:34 PM

I'm the best I've ever seen.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:07 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

I think people would be surprised at what some can do with a stick,string and an arrow.
I think it was the92 Olympics they lit the torch with a flaming arrow! I read somewhere that 300+ people tried out to shoot the arrow, that lit the torch,each got 5 shots! It wasa 70 yard shot, and they had to be within a3 inch circle to make sure the torch lit!! It was all done with a sightless recurve!! Out of the 1500+ shots only 1 arrow missed the mark!!Thats worldclass!!!
Old 09-01-2007, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, we have 7 world class shooters on here............lol.

FTR.......I rated myself as very good.

Just curious............how many people on here have placed top 3 or for that case top 10 in any venue of national competition?

Quick Reply: Rating Your Shooting Ability

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.