Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 overhunting a stand >

overhunting a stand

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

overhunting a stand

Old 09-01-2007, 07:19 AM

Default RE: overhunting a stand

I hunt a 10 acre "farm" and also have limited ability to move but I try to rotate to differnet sections- say 100 yards away or so, on a regular basis pending wind direction. Bucks are few and far between though, so- Take a new approach if you only have a small plot to hunt- hunt does, they eat just as well and its better for population control anyways. If a great shooter buck walks by- bonus. I take five does and save a tag for the buck should he walk through but if at the last week I still have it- another doe gets into the freezer. I never get too discouraged taking this approach, there are always opportunities. Then again, I live in Northern Va were you can't through a rock without hitting a doe and they are just as big as the bucks

Old 09-01-2007, 12:41 PM
Typical Buck

I think it depends on the lay out of the land and where it is located.

My main hunting spot is a small 18ac. tract of land located in SC. The lay out of the land allows me to hunt it more that a "normal" tract of the same size. The upper end of the land is high and dry, but VERY thick with pines and briars. They bed in this. The bottom is a creek bottom full of white oaks.

Over the past couple of years I have determined that the high side is the evening hunt and the low side is the morning hunt. The creek bottom is a GREAT funnel. The deer use it in the mornings on the way from the neighboring farms back to their bedding area.

I don't hunt the center of the land b/c this is where the deer bed. I hunt the outer edges of it. I have hunted with hunting clubs that have had over 14,000ac of prime land, but I still see more deer on this little 18ac. tract. It has everything that a deer needs. Food, water, and cover.

The location is also great. Its bordered by a 1,000ac farm that doesn't get hunted. The other side borders a good sized cut over. Another great thing is that my property line is the NC/SC line with Anson county. Anson county's deer season doesn't come in until almost two months after ours. So, all together I am in a great spot in a state that has one of the highest (if not the highest) deer population in the country.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:18 PM

Maybe you did overehunt your stand, I however have mixed opinions on the subject. I've hunted the same stand 5 days in a row, morning and evening. Keep in mind 1. It was rifle season 2. the deer were more than 80 yards away 3. it was late season and the only green ANYWHERE was where I was sitting and 4. I only saw 5 legal deer. That said, can you overhunt a bowhunting stand? Sure. It's more up close and personal w/ a bow and I'm sure the deer will smell you if you hunt the same stand on a RELIGIOUS basis. However, w/ you hunting the stand so much and never killing deer(waiting on the big one), is there a possibility that maybe the deer become accustom to our scent, and aren't scared? I don't know. I try to keep about 6-8 stands a yr. I have one for each wind direction and try to have one or two more, just depends on how much scouting I get done. In your situation, it may not be a bad idea to try out public land(if thats an option) or start asking permission to hunt private land. You'll be surprised how many old widows will let you hunt just for cleaning up their yard on a once-every-three-week basis.