Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
how many shots on a new string before it's done st >

how many shots on a new string before it's done st

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how many shots on a new string before it's done st

Old 01-17-2002, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default how many shots on a new string before it's done st

how many shots does it take to break-in a new string--how many shots will i get before i need to replace strings&or cables?just looking for a rough idea.
Old 01-17-2002, 09:03 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-17-2002, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: how many shots on a new string before it's done st

Ditto Mobow. Basically though a lot of people replace their strings every year and cables every other year. I make my own and replace them every year as a pair so I don't forget when I replaced either of them. I feel though that the high cost of strings/cables is making the average guy not replace them as often as they should be. When I helped in a proshop we'd get lots of bows that would come in with the string being broken under the nock set. When asked how old the string was we"d usually find out it was about 4-5 years or older.
After I set up my bow with the new string and cable I usually leave it for a day and then begin shooting and then reposition the peep. Doesn't take many shots for the 450 Plus material to set. In fact I usually don't have to do anything after repositioning the peep that first time.
Old 01-18-2002, 05:29 AM

I just had my string and cable replaced with a set from Muzzy last night. It is 450+ and I'll let you know how many shots it takes for it to set. Already had to put 5 twists to get the cam back in time. I only shot about 60 arrows last night. I may be the guinea pig on these Muzzy strings, so I will let you all know how they do.

The most important bloodtrail leads right to the foot of the cross
Old 01-18-2002, 09:14 AM
Dominant Buck

I think my proshop recommends somewhere around 100-150 shots to settle it in with todays modern string material. I replace my string a couple times a year and the cables every other string. Probably an overkill, but once you've had one break you don't want to see it again. Some of the diehard target shooters replace them on a whim. I've never had to make any big changes with the newere strings and my Maverick.