Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anyone ever have this problem with Maxima arrows? >

Anyone ever have this problem with Maxima arrows?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone ever have this problem with Maxima arrows?

Old 08-29-2007, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Anyone ever have this problem with Maxima arrows?

I've shot aluminum arrows for years. Several years ago I switched to carbons. I usually shot cheaper arrows and had much success with them.

Last year I bought a Diamond Victory right at the end of hunting season. At that time I bought some carbon arrows. They were a Gander Mountain arrow called Whitetails. I believe they are actually made by Carbon Express.

This summer I did some shooting and deciced to get some "GOOD" arrows. I wanted something lighter. The Whitetails are heavy, 11.9 gpi.

I bought a half dozen Maxima 250's with Blazers.

My groups have improved. I usually just shoot two arrows at a time to prevent damage.

During the last week or so, my groups have really opened up. I've been racking my brain to figure out what the heck was wrong. What was I doing?

Every once in a while I'd notice an arrow kicking sideways and missing by lots.

I tried and checked everthing. I shoot a trophy Taker Pronghorn SL dropaway.

I finally decided to number my arrows with a Sharpie marker. I did this yearsago sort out aluminun arrows that weren't up to par.

I found out that one arrow consistantly kicked sideways and would not hit where I aimed. The rest of the half dozen grouped together.

What could possibly make an arrow do this?

Old 08-29-2007, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone ever have this problem with Maxima arrows?

Arrow #4 is the one I'm having a problem with. I normally just shoot 2 arrows at a time. I numbered them all and shot them all. This is what happened.

Here isthat group. This was from 30 yds, When I shoot from 40, arrow #4 is way out there.

As you can see, I have another dilema. These arrows are expensive.I have one bad arrow and now these 2 stuck together.

Should I pull them apart?

Old 08-29-2007, 05:48 PM

I also have an odd flier, I think its just a goofed up arrow...

I would hang those two on the wall, as a momento. Show yer kiddies one day.

EDIT: I should have stated that its not a Maxima, I shoot GT.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

The thing I find odd is, that I have been shooting just two arrows for the last month or so. The same two.

I just started having this problem within the last couple weeks. That arrow shot fine before.

Is there anything possible that can happen to them to make them act up?
Old 08-29-2007, 05:54 PM

Maybe if you smacked it accidentally?
I had a similar problem, I typically shoot 3; 8,9, and 10. 8 & 10 group nicely, 9 shoots consistently a little low and left (like 2 tenths low and maybe 3 inches left).
Old 08-29-2007, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I remember mobow posting a couple of weeks about the same thing. He found a small crack in the one arrow that was acting funny.

Give it a twist and bend it a little to see if any thing opens up.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like it was just a bad shaft. I've had that happen. Were the arrows spin tested before you bought them? You may have had one problem arrow from the beginning and it's problems may have been compounded from shooting. Regardless I would definately be leary of that arrow. I'd go over it with a magnifying glass if need be. Maybe even get it spin tested. If there is a defect the last thing you want is a major malfunction on release.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Probably just a bad nock.

Try spinning the nock to get it back in the group,if that doesn't do it,replace the nock.

I would definately check the arrow out before I shot it again.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tried the Carbon Express Maxima 250's last year. I had one break while extracting it on the very firstshot. CE replaced the shaft and I used them the rest of the year but I never noticed the improvement that I experience with other 'premium' arrows.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:07 PM

I always put dots on the flights like marking cards in poker. Each arrow has certain unique charictoristics in flight which stand out from the rest of your arrows. When one consistantly stands out as different from the others I pull it aside and test it. First, and simplest, put the broadhead or field tip in theflat of your hand balancing upwards and spin itwith your fingers. Watch for a wauble in theshaft of the arrow. It may take some practice to see the difference but it will become VERY obvious. Anywauble is bad. Let me say that again.Any wauble is bad! A balanced arrow is the most IMPORTANT thing you can do for an accurate shot....PERIOD! Change the flights and see if this works. Extend the flights and see if this works. Change the tips from another arrow and see if this works. If it does not work, THROW THAT ARROW AWAY! No manufactured arrows are perfect. Shoot only the good ones.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever have this problem with Maxima arrows?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.