Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 And yet another gimmick......I think >

And yet another gimmick......I think

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

And yet another gimmick......I think

Old 08-29-2007, 10:45 AM
OGW

Default RE: And yet another gimmick......I think

ORIGINAL: ericstacy

For many years now we have been putting sillouette hunters in our ladder and tripod stands even sporting an orange cap. Does to things.
1. Deer get used to it and begin to loose fear of it being there alowing you to slip in its place and see less spooky deer. We have actually placed a small rag with human sweat on it so they can also get used to a little human scent.
2. Other hunters that shouldn't be in the area wander up and see it and immediately retreat back into the woods thinking they might get seen. Keeps trespassers down and hunters out of your honey hole.
Every little bit helps.
Just a little DeerDope on the subject.
Yes to those that have never thought of using something similar or have never heard of anyone doing this it sounds like a gimmick...but it truely is Not a Gimmick!
Similar to Eric's process above I've been hanging long sleeve t-shirts, blaze orange vests and hats, for years especially on standsites where other people have permission to hunt the property. Though I dont hang any with human scent on them my attempt is simply to get whatever deer see the stand to get used to the shape in it.
I've been in another location not too far away from the treestand because the wind was not good to be in it...I've watched people walk towards the treestand, see the simulated hunter in it, and give it a wide berth and walk around it at a distance. One person actually waved at the stand and must have thought the hunter was rude not to return the gesture...LOL
Practically speaking it has more than likely saved a few treestands from getting stolen when I was not around. Most people are less likely to "Scope" a person they perceive is in a treestand from a distance IMHO.
Most will not walk right up to one out of common courtesy(hopefully).

Old 08-29-2007, 11:16 AM
Fork Horn

Wow..
Old 08-29-2007, 11:24 AM
Banned

I too have shoved straw in coveralls, dressed the dummyin an orange vest and hat, and placed in treestands so as to keep other hunters from tresspassing on my land. I don't gun hunt and it was my way of having some "hunters" in the woods to keep out riff raff %%^*** trespassers.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

I too have done the same, except the dummy in the stand is me
Old 08-29-2007, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

I too have done the same, except the dummy in the stand is me
Thats the exact same thing i do!!!! lol
Old 08-29-2007, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have heard of people dong this, just didn't think of it as a product to be profitable. (and I could have been rich off this idea) haha
Old 08-29-2007, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

that is completely idiotic.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:49 PM

[/quote]
Hey I got some ocean front property in Montana for sale
[/quote]
Is there a bridge running over it?

Be careful now. when I was a kid (30 some years ago) you couldn't give swamp land away. Now, it sells for premium hunting land. Man, what I would give to have some of the swamp land I turned down years ago!!!!!
Old 08-29-2007, 01:52 PM

In response to the thread, ain't it great to be in a free country? Anyone can buy and sell just about anything!!! All it takes is someone with guts to put out an idea and someone else gullable enough to fork out some dough!!!
Old 08-29-2007, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

This isn't as bad an idea as you guys make it sound.

Now for bowhunting mature deer out of the rut it is probably stupid b/c most of those deer are
killed on new setups and draggin that in there would do more harm than good, but for your
regular gun hunter looking to kill it might help on an old stand location.

I know a guy that rifle hunts out of box stands who hangs an empty gallon milk jug from a string inside.
He says the deer get used to having something there and the movement it and it helps a lot.

Now, even though this is not a completely stupid concept, I wouldn't buy one.

Quick Reply: And yet another gimmick......I think

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.