Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 1st year in a treestand... >

1st year in a treestand...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

1st year in a treestand...

Old 08-29-2007, 08:27 AM

Default RE: 1st year in a treestand...

Wear a safety harness and practice from a tree in a simulated hunting situation.

I have a tree out behind my house in some woods that I climb about once a week. I usually go up with full gear and a safety harness and shoot until I begin to get too sweaty or tired. I usually go up about 15-18' and shoot through a small path to my 3D deer target that is set-up 20 yds away.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:37 AM

ORIGINAL: WvShapeshifter

I put my climber on the telephone pole and have at it. Don't have no small trees close. Hope Verizon don't mind!
I was tempted to do that. Have to way a couple hundred yards to the woods, but have a telephone pole right in the middle of my yard.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: graysonelement

where yor harness practices from it an aim a little low
What do you mean by "a little low"?
I know you have to aim lower on your target.Just don't know by how much.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

practise useing a stand and shooting from one and you wil see where you are shooting . With a climber especialy that way when it is time to hunt you are very familiar with your equipment . make sure to bend at the waist when shooting from one . I go about 20 -25 feet up

[/align]
Old 08-29-2007, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is my first year to....
Old 08-29-2007, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

..If you ever found yourself at making it to your sight/tree suddenly finding out you've left that harness behind. Turn back.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

The height of my tree stand depends on the cover I have available. If I can get away with 12-15 ft I will. 10's even better! I don't go any more than 20 ft unless it's a forked tree and I know I will feel safe with another tree close. Yes I wear a saftey harness but something to put my hand on when I fall makes me feel even better. LOL

I feel the same way I am scared of heights and feel a little better with another tree close to me (Ihave good success from the tree stand that is why I keep climbing if anybody was going to ask) I can feel my comfort level when climbing and that is where I stop it is different for each setup . The worst part for me is taking off my foot straps and turning away from the tree after that I am ok as long as my platform is fairly level

Old 08-29-2007, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

Just remember what your sitting and or climbing with out there,,a mechanical device that can fail.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:51 PM
Fork Horn

Just remember what your sitting and or climbing with out there,,a mechanical device that can fail.
Thank you in advance for the nightmares

Old 08-30-2007, 12:44 AM

You asked "What is a little Low?"
*If you practice at level ground with a stationary target you do great.
*If you shoot at a live deer at thirty yards he squats and you shoot over his back. You can learn to adjust for this jump.
*If you don't practice from an elevated stand (Climber) you will shoot over his back due to the lack of gravity pulling the arrow down PLUS the deer is going to squat.
Practice Practice Practice from a climber on a 3d target if you can.

AND WEAR YOUR HARNESS!!!!

Quick Reply: 1st year in a treestand...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.