HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   HELP!!!!!!! !(practice for the upcoming season) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/204566-help-practice-upcoming-season.html)

zubba 08-28-2007 01:53 PM

HELP!!!!!!! !(practice for the upcoming season)

HELP..... After I got done doing chores, I slipped my camo on over my chore cloths and got to my treestand around 4:00. At about 4:30 a real nice 10 pointer came walking by my tree. He was about 45 yards out and stopped in some brush, but I thought I could still make the shot. I pulled back, put my 20 yard pin just above his back and punched my trigger. The arrow hit some twigs and he jumped my string so the arrow hit him pretty far back, but I thought it looked good. I was so excited. I waited 10 minutes before I got down from my tree and started looking for blood. At first there was only a drop or two every 20 yards or so. The the blood trail picked up descent. All a sudden, I heard a loud clash and I looked up, there he was...still running. I think I kicked him up. I quickly nocked another arrow and released it just as he was going over the hill. It was about 100 yards but I thought it was worth a shot. I continued the blood trail from there. About 50 yards later, it stopped. No more blood could be found. I looked for another 15 minutes, then went home. Now I don't know what to do. Help!!!!

NOTE: This is not a true story, but there is a really really good chance we will here something similiar during this upcoming season.So I just thought I would post it before someone else does. Hey, maybe we could reply with the right answers, then put it as a sticky at the top of the page. So the next time someone writes a braindead story like this, we can refer them there instead of replying again and tongue lashing the hell out of them.

WesternMdHardwoods 08-28-2007 01:55 PM

RE: HELP!!!!!(getting ready for the upcoming season)

Hhaahaa I cant wait to see some of these peoples questions?!?!?!

BowHuntingFool 08-28-2007 01:57 PM

Educate, Educate, Educate.......is what we need to do!!!!!!!!

dstubb 08-28-2007 01:58 PM

I glanced at your avatar while reading that and thought to myself, how could a person with that many posts still be so stupid?

BowHuntingFool 08-28-2007 02:03 PM

Educate!

We all should re-read this for a refresher!

BKE 08-28-2007 02:04 PM

I was waiting for the "what a nightmare, I'm glad I woke up" part.

TexasOaks 08-28-2007 04:33 PM

ORIGINAL: dstubb

I glanced at your avatar while reading that and thought to myself, how could a person with that many posts still be so stupid?

wis_bow_huntr 08-28-2007 04:37 PM

Heres my answer to the fake story yet to happen to some poor sap on here.
1. Dont shot at anything thats in the brush if you dont have a clear shot.
2.You think you made a bad shot. Stay put for at least 1 hour after listening for the deer to stop or go down.
3.Locate the exact area of where the deer was when you shot and go over the entire process in your head.
4.Locate sign. If blood sign is good. Continue on slowly always looking ahead.
5.If sign stops or gets sparse, mark your spot, pull out and get help and or return in the morning with help.

You cant lose if you fiollow these basic tracking steps. I sure hope to god noone goes through what was told in the story. Unfortunately, its going to.

medic stalker 08-28-2007 04:40 PM

RE: HELP!!!!!!! !(practice for the upcoming season)

As I was reading the first couple of lines, I too glanced at your avatar and I felt pitty for you at the tounge lashing you were going to receive. Glad it was educational only!

Prairie Wolf 08-28-2007 05:32 PM

RE: HELP!!!!!!! !(practice for the upcoming season)

Here are the mistakes:
1. Never do your chores prior to hunting. Hunting is an excuse to get out of chores.
2. Shoulda shot before he went behind the brush. A 50 yard shot is easier to make than one through the brush. If he was still moving though, you did the right thing. You never want to take a moving target beyond 50 yards unless they are not coming any closer.
3. Shoulda used the 30 yard pin. The arrow would have cleared the twigs and the buck would be yours.
4. Don't wait so long. The deer was tired, you gave him a chance to rest.
5. Shoulda already had the second arrow nocked and been at full draw. Never know when that second shot would be needed. Plus if you missed, you would have time to nock a third arrow. The proof is in your story. You had time to nock one for the hail mary shot. The more arrows you shoot the better chance you got to hit something.
6. Never post a story like that on here. You never get any good advice. Mostly you just get a bunch of jerks on here trying to be superior and act like they never botch a shot.

Bottom line, you screwed up, and that ten pointer is now coyote turds.