HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Jumping the String... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/204558-jumping-string.html)

quiksilver 08-28-2007 12:55 PM

Jumping the String...

Why do they call it "Jumping the String" when deer are actually ducking the arrow?

Kinda stupid.

Anyway - If anybody is bored and mathematically inclined, it would be cool to see a grid with various ranges and speeds (FPS)- accounting for the speed of sound (1128 fps) - to establish exactly how much reaction time a deer actually has to react and duck the arrow at each range at each respective speed.

What I wanna know is the time between the deer hearing the sound of the bow going off, and the arrow's actual impact.

Speed 100 150 200 250 300 350 400

Range
10 (30')

20 (60')

30 (90')

40 (120')

50 (150')

60 (180')

GMMAT 08-28-2007 01:01 PM

RE: Jumping the String...

What sound is he hearing?

nchawkeye 08-28-2007 01:03 PM

Quick...You have way too much time on your hands.....:D

You need to realize that the term jumping the string is a very old saying...
I started bow hunting in the early 70s, before compounds, and the term was around at that time....It's easy to say they are ducking now, because we have so many videos on TV...When the term was coined this wasn't so.

My bow isn't very fast.........But it is real quiet....That and taking a shot at an unsuspecting deer are what helps keep them from ducking the shot.....

btw....I don't think they even know what they are doing, they just hear a strange noise and crouch before they leap....Its more of a reaction...

Rob/PA Bowyer 08-28-2007 01:05 PM

I don't call it "ducking the arrow"...that would lead me to believe the deer knows the arrow is coming and is lowering his body to avoid being hit by the arrow....absolutely not.

The deer is merely dropping his weight onto this legs to preload them to flee danger that he heard. No different than us when we take off to run etc....

I say, he dropped at either the sound of the bow, or the arrow in flight....in experiments, I hear the arrow more than the bow and if you allow gravity to do it's thing, even humans can drop many inches before impact.

quiksilver 08-28-2007 01:07 PM

The time that I'm trying to come up with is a deer's ACTUAL reaction time at a matrix of speeds/ranges. The time that passes between his hearing of the sound of the bow going off, and the arrow's impact.

Due to the time it takes for the sound to travel from bow -->deer the targetis not hearing the bow at the same instant that it's fired.

Chronologically -

Bow goes off, arrow is in flight. (some time elapses)
Deer hears bow. (more time elapses)
Deer smacked by arrow.

About the "jumping/ducking" distinction - I know - I was just trying to lead into the meat of this discussion - which is actually "Reaction Time" - and how it changes with various bow speeds.

MN/Kyle 08-28-2007 01:08 PM

"Jumping the String"
they are trying to jump away.

Germ 08-28-2007 01:10 PM

I call it shooting a noisy bow;)
Shooting a deer on Alert

Or my favorite a miss:D

Quick UofW(Wis) did this already. Google it[8D]

bryant1 08-28-2007 01:10 PM

You find an average reaction time and I can fill out your chart. Good luck finding it- as I would guess it is variable, just like with humans.

quiksilver 08-28-2007 01:14 PM

I googled - found nothing. I must be using the wrong search terms. Link anyone?

Germ 08-28-2007 01:18 PM

Let me see if i can find it, give me some time. It wasa great read.