Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 TV shows, Gut Shots >

TV shows, Gut Shots

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

TV shows, Gut Shots

Old 08-28-2007, 12:51 PM
Spike

Default RE: TV shows, Gut Shots

We produce a TV show in ND and yes at times we make a less than perfect shot and yes we miss but we try and show the whole story without pulling any punches. However you do have to follow some guidelines and common sense on what you can and can't show! But I do agree with you guys there are a lot of guys filming that should stick to working on their hunting skills in the field and forget the filming! We go out with the intent on hoping to film a show however if we don't so be it and we try again later. I know there are guys in the industry that look at it as a do or die situation and kill at any cost????
Old 08-28-2007, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not all videos are the same!
Old 08-28-2007, 01:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

That is a huge pet peeve of mine only because they do not tell the viewer the time delay from shot to recovery. On some it's obvious they wait to the next day but I wish they'd educate people on why and what happened.

A gut shot is a fatal wound and a recovery can be very simple when precautions and education is taken.

I don't doubt at times on some of these shows they get 25 guys out to look and then do a fake recovery but I wish they'd explain it.
Not to argue or anything, but I find it strange that you can't tell that practically every time they do a fake recovery. Now most of you guys have more experience than me (I have only killed three deer), so correct me if I am wrong, but every time I have shot a deer, when I picked it's head up, it's mouth was open with tounge hanging out. These guys walk right up to them on the "recovery" and the mouth is amazingly closed. While I know this does not make as good of a picture, I think it proves that the recovery is staged. It may be the first time the hunter has got ahold of it, but somebody as prepped that deer.

Don't get me wrong, I don't really care, it is just something that I noticed.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was out shooting my bow last week with a friend of mine and we were talking about all the gutshot deer on these outdoor shows.Some of these people need some more practice, then again I have never bneen under that kind ofpressure.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Backwoods, I can definately tell it's a fake recovery however you'd be surprised how many novices or beginners see these shows and see a gut shot and an immediate retreval and think that's real life...that's all.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:11 PM
Spike

As far as that goes we always recover our animals live and yes the tongues hang out but we try and push them in as we are looking at the animal to make it look better. It may be the real thing with the tongue hanging out but it is not good to show this on video and in pictures. In my opinion is shows bad taste and gives activists more fuel and it may turn a fence rider the wrong way. So just maybe these guys may be doing this to protect our hunting. No one likes to see animals suffer or look bad, I have shot animals on film and hit them as good as you can but nobody wants to see them blowing their lungs out their nose as they die so some of this is done for a reason.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

I have always, without a doubt, cleaned the animal up, hidden the tongue and sometimes even put in fake eyes for the camera before the recovery and the "talk over the trophy" segment. It is only respectful to the animal and doesn't feed the fire of the anti's. Can you imagine ESPN2 on a Saturday morning showing a buck with blood dripping out of it's nose and it's tongue hanging out? That would be the last show on that network. It's just done in good taste and not to hide anything from the viewers.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Some people get too caught up in the "filming" of the hunt or the "TV" or "Video", why not just hunt! It seems like everybody wants to be a production company instead of a hunter! JMO!!!!!!! Sure film it but why not keep it personal, like it should be!
Old 08-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont mind them showing the bad shots, it happens to the best of us soemtimes. Just dont try and tell me it was a great shot when the arrow clearly went thru his guts, hips, etc.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

They're under a LOT of pressure to get kills on video.

There's going to be more and more of this (IMO). Rather than only air the good shots....they're going to get the kills on video to be able to show the antlers.

Just a fact.....
This sums it up!!!!! There not hunting anymore, there filming a TV show/Video which is working, not hunting!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: TV shows, Gut Shots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.