Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 You see the Biggest Buck ever.... >

You see the Biggest Buck ever....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

You see the Biggest Buck ever....

Old 08-28-2007, 01:34 AM

Default You see the Biggest Buck ever....

coming right at you and you draw up. He doesn't notice you but something makes him hang out just a bit beyond your comfortable shooting range. You don't want to lower your draw so you keep it on him since he keeps passing his gaze across you but doesn't actually see you yet because you have been still. Now he starts to come closer but you notice that you are moving the bow all over the place because you are now exhausted from holding that danged arrow all the way back. At 25 yds he turns broadside to you and exposes his whole side for your long awaited shot to happen.... Do you take the shot because you don't want this gigantic deer to get away or do you let him go since you realize you are obviously going to miss? Be honest here. I am asking this because I just watched a hunting video where you can see the compound bow shooter and his bow and he is all over the place from the hind quarters to even out in front of it. As I watched I am fully expecting this bow hunter to ease the string and let the buck walk (was a nice buck too to make anyone proud) but he releases and took the buck in the front of the front shoulder. There was very minimal penetration and you could see the deer running away with most of the shaft stciking out of him. I thought this was very unethical so I am wondering what you all would do. Once again be honest.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:37 AM
Bartender

Default RE: You see the Biggest Buck ever....

If I cannot calm myself enough to make ethical shot I am not going to do it.
I made the mistake once in my life when I was 18 and lost a doe that I will never again have happen due to this.
Live and Learn like the my motto states.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

since you realize you are obviously going to miss
Why would anyone shoot if they knew they were going to miss?
Old 08-28-2007, 06:40 AM

If you are talking about the hunt with Lee and Tiff, I thought he did a good job, alot of people have gotten minimal penetration just drawing and shooting. I rewound it and he held his draw for 66 seconds. That is a long time but me and my buddies practice that kind of stuff, we have each other draw then you can't shoot until the person with clock says too. I thought the guy made a good shot my self.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Honest I never shake my heart comes out of my chest and I stop breathing i think but i do not shake! So DEAD deer!
Old 08-28-2007, 07:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

You've been watching too many TV hunters. Drawing back and holding for 10 minutes while waiting for the deer to move on in, ragged breathing into the microphone, close up of the finger tightening on the release to heighten the suspense of the moment and all the while the dramatic music plays in the background, quickening to a climactic crescendo.... Hollywoooood!

This is an excellent example of why I refuse to draw until the deer is in range and in position. Draw, aim, shoot. Bing, bing, bing. Just like that.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:58 AM

ORIGINAL: gators1422

If you are talking about the hunt with Lee and Tiff, I thought he did a good job, alot of people have gotten minimal penetration just drawing and shooting. I rewound it and he held his draw for 66 seconds. That is a long time but me and my buddies practice that kind of stuff, we have each other draw then you can't shoot until the person with clock says too. I thought the guy made a good shot my self.
That is right on. You have to practice that shot. I will practice without arrows in my bow while I'm lifting. I'll do several sets holding my bow back for 2 minutes at a time. When I practice I will do the same with at least 4 shots per session.

Even if you wait until the deer is in range/position you may still have to hold if it makes a sudden turn where they no longer present a clean shot.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

since you realize you are obviously going to miss
Why would anyone shoot if they knew they were going to miss?
Haha exactly my thoughts..

If im too fatigued to make an accurate shot, im not taking it. Most of the time i like to wait to draw untill i have a shot or the buck is just about to walk in the lane. I know sometimes it doesnt always work out like that and you have to hold your bow. I sometimes practice holding back for an extended amount of time, then shooting i think it helps build endurance.

With all the new bow technology its gettin easier and easier to hold back longer and still shoot accurately
Old 08-28-2007, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't have drawn until he went broadside. Then I'd have killed him.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

if it was me I would of took the shot anyways....cause at 25 yrds you shouldnt be missing anyway...and how do you know your gonna miss if you dont shoot.

Quick Reply: You see the Biggest Buck ever....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.