Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 proccessing your own deer >

proccessing your own deer

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

proccessing your own deer

Old 08-28-2007, 05:49 PM

Default RE: processing your own deer

hey all. i do mine myself as well. but i got a question: does it take u guys a long time to get rid of that slimy substance (is that the sinu people are speaking of). i mean i take a while to cut off alllll of that slimy, filmy residue. does anyone not cut this off?
Old 08-28-2007, 06:12 PM
Fork Horn

Go rent from your local storage outfit (this saves alot of smoke content from your own shed/garage)an 8X10 with an electrical outlet, hang it on the hoof from a rafter source and start an auger feedwich i prefer mesquite chips.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:09 PM

Here is a video.

http://www.inberg.ca/hunting_essentials/deer_cutting_&_butchering_(video).htm

Old 08-29-2007, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: proccessing your own deer

ORIGINAL: TimberCreek

Had my first deer processed many years ago. Cost me $120. Have done my own since. 40+ deer. Many processors weigh your deer and calculate out how much meat you receive. They shut down their process for other animals and run only venison. If you order burger they make a bunch of it and package. You may receive meat from someone elses deer that hung longer than yours or if you spent allot of time doing a good job gutting and cleaning you wasted your time cause someone else may have receivedyou're venison.
Number one reason IMO to do your own. Once it is at the butchers, you have no idea whose deer you got back. The deer next yours may have had the gut bag busted while cleaning and the one on the other side may have had the bladder busted and piss all over the place. Plus, who knows if you are getting all of your meat. The butcher may very well be taking a part of every loin that comes in for himself. Butchering is pretty easy with alittle practice, and the best way to learn is to just start doing it. A basic knowledge of anatomy is really all you need to get started.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do it both ways.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

BWB,
Thanks for the video. Looks like that will help out quite a bit. I have dial-up at home, but I'm at work and I have my thumb-drive. No problem.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:40 PM

I do my own, cut into steaks and what not. I usually send a doe to my mom and dad so they cant get it ground up for hamburgers and what not.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:20 PM
Typical Buck

I process my own deer, unless I donate one to Hunters for the Hungry, because they do it for free when you donate the whole deer. I see it as the last phase of the hunt and I give thanks to God while I do it.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:32 PM
Typical Buck

I have processed all mine until last year I had a doe processed for $50. I just watched people do it and took it from there. Both ways have pros and cons.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:49 PM

CHEAP! Plus I know exactly what goes into my meat.

Quick Reply: proccessing your own deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.