Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 proccessing your own deer >

proccessing your own deer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

proccessing your own deer

Old 08-27-2007, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: proccessing your own deer

$$$$$$$ thats why i do my own im not gonna pay someone all that money when i can do it myself my wife would have a fit!
Old 08-27-2007, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

We started quite a few years back. Too much hair in our meat,not your own deer meat, not taken care of properly, and it cost to much.
Now we make all our own jerky, sausage,and bologna. Tastes better and we know it is done right.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: processing your own deer

I do it for the same reason I do most other things for my self , besides pure enjoyment I can take my time and do a better job , process the cuts I like , I can't afford to pay $300 to $400 a season for someone else to process the deer ( about $100 -$120 each ) , besides all that I grew up in the city when I was young and I am paranoid about getting ripped off

I'd like to echo the question that Michigan hunter14 asked. Where did those of you who process your own learn? My wife is after me to process my own this year. She's already looking at an upright freezer, meat grinder, vacuum sealer and a few other accessories. I think she has more faith in me than I do. Okay, how do I learn?
I think the best way to learn is next to someone experienced . The INTERNET era is great do some research , read books , watch videos , some sports shows have processing demonstrations . One thing to remember even if you don't make great cuts it is still edible the only way to learn is by doing it , become a good Samaritan and help all your friends process their deers the more you do it the better you will get plus you might get some free meat from them ( OK that is more than one thing)

Old 08-27-2007, 08:35 PM

We process all of our own game. I believe it is part of the hunt and get a ton of satisfaction knowing that I played every part of it, from scouting to the freezer.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

It saves money and makes me feel even more with nature processing my own deer. All you really need is a sharp knife or 2 and a good saw and you can do it in a reasonable time. After a few deer it becomes old hat.

You just follow the lines of the muscles to remove most of the meat and you can still cuthte bigger peices into steaks and roasts.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:53 PM

It is really pretty easy once you get the hang of it. I would give step by step instructions but some antiwould use it.Hardest part is getting the wife to help. Search the net.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:15 PM
Typical Buck

CHEAPER AND CLEANER!!!
Old 08-27-2007, 09:16 PM
Typical Buck

furtherly, my buddies and i use the time we are processing to celebrate and tip back a few brews.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Found some good resources :

Great video on field dressing : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECdaKBbmGnU

They also sell a DVD that covers processing for $13. I might buy one. : https://secure.kentucky.gov/Mall/Store/7803440a42df458c815d9db55890b738/Product/2457ec1426cd42e2b5d4cbb53d6d2387/
Old 08-27-2007, 09:37 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the links Jeramy!

Quick Reply: proccessing your own deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.