Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 G5 Montecs...  Wow. >

G5 Montecs... Wow.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

G5 Montecs... Wow.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: G5 Montecs... Wow.

Its true even practice blades will kill a deer. The thing with dull blades is that they tend to tear through the deer instead of slice. A deer will leave better and more profuse blood trails from a very sharp broadhead, and the hole one clotup as easily.With a marginal hitthat may just nicka major artery a dull head would have a better chance of pushing the arteryout of the way instead of slicing it openlike arazor sharp one would do. Does every head come hair shaving sharp? No, but as hunters we should do every thing we can to up our chances of making the quickest cleanest kills possible and using a very sharp broadhead plays a majoy role in that.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks G-man. If I can get one of the big boys to stand still this fall- I don't have any excuses... Time will tell.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:21 PM

"Guys kill 2-3 deer with the same head. They shoot them into the dirt, clean them off, and put them back in the quiver. It happens."

Sorry Quick, but this falls into the category of two wrongs don't make a right. If you shoot an animal with a non-replacement blade broadhead, it needs to be re-sharpened. If you shoot an animal with a replacement blade head, the blades should be replaced in most cases. If you shoot a broadhead into the dirt, see either step 1 or 2 above. Not saying it doesn't happen...but it justifies nothing. It is all about being responsible. Really the same argument for taking only high percentage shots...can you kill a deer with a hard quartering to angle? Maybe, sometimes, possibly, hope so...not good answers. Shooting a sharp broadhead is like waiting for the correct shot angle...it expotentially increases the probability for a quick, clean kill. Don't know how to say it any better. At any rate, good luck this season.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think there's much, if any, difference between a broadhead that's a shade on the dull side, versus another one as sharp as a scalpel at 300+ fps - the KE behind the arrow will slash rightthrough any soft tissue it touches. The only way to know for surewould be to stick your fingers under the deck of your lawnmower and see what happens- and I don't think either of us is willing to try it.

Agree to disagree, I guess.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dont get me wrong, I shot montecs part of last year. They werent very sharp out of the box and I couldnt get them much better afterwards. They kill deer thats what matters. Even though they arent razor sharp doesnt mean you should go shoot them into a target 100 times and not at least touch them up before you go hunting. You want that head as sharp as you can get it period, I dont care if its flying 300fps.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:35 PM

[/align]OK, your light arrow went deep into a foam target, but will happen if it centers ona rib bone, or shoulder blade, or leg bone? I'm not knocking your set up at all, I'm sure it will kill a deer, and you sound like a dedicated guy to the sport or you wouldn't have invested all this time and money into your rig. Also, I'm shooting a bow that is considered ancient by compound bow standards and only fires aluminum arrows around 200 fps. I just madethe switch to carbon this year, and really like them so far. But here's the thing that concerns me. Weight is needed to drive a projectile through a target (animate or not). To give an extreme example, try this. Take a golf ball and a ping-pong ball, which are basically the same size, and throw them into a snow bank. Which one do you think will penetrate further? You have speed to burn (and then some, man that is some impressive speed), and your KE is DEFINITELY up there,so maybe you will be just fine. I think you are definitely going the right route with the montecs, I love them also. IMO, cut on contact heads are the ticket if you want a pass through shot. But take a head with a punching type tip on it (muzzy, etc...), and you lose a lot of your energy just getting through the skin, not to mention hitting a rib. That's not to say that muzzys are ineffective. I knowthere are TONS of people out there that have killed numerous animals with them, so I'm not knocking them either. Just thought I would throw thatoppinion out there.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:37 PM
Typical Buck

Outthe three deer my Buddie and I shot last year with these "Dull" Montecs..........One Made it 100 yards, One made it around 80 yards, the other only went 40 yards.......All had the best blood trails I've seen..........I wonder what would happen if they where "sharp"[&:]
Old 08-28-2007, 07:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Bird Hunt Dog

Outthe three deer my Buddie and I shot last year with these "Dull" Montecs..........One Made it 100 yards, One made it around 80 yards, the other only went 40 yards.......All had the best blood trails I've seen..........I wonder what would happen if they where "sharp"[&:]
I am 12 for 12 with them. Great head!!!!

Just like strikers a tad better this year.

My 260+ pound buck i shot ran less than 40 yds
Old 08-28-2007, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know, maybe they'd just fall over.
Hey Red Boar, I actually tried to find a place to order some of the Flames (based on your input), but had no luck. Too late now, I guess.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im not knocking Montecs Bird Hunt Dog, Im knocking the guys who go out there with dull head that have been shot into targets, dirt, and all sorts of stuff and either not resharpened or replaced. Montecs are not shaving sharp but they are sharp enough to do a heck of a job, I know I used them.

Quick Reply: G5 Montecs... Wow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.