Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Heat damage to bow >

Heat damage to bow

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Heat damage to bow

Old 09-03-2007, 11:42 AM

Default Heat damage to bow

I just built a nice little cabinet to store my bow and all of my archery needs. I have it out in my garage right now. My question to everyone is do you thinkmy bowis too open to the elements? Again it is in a cabinet. What can heat do to a bow?
Old 09-03-2007, 11:49 AM

Default RE: Heat damage to bow

my friend did the same thing and his bow got so hot it warped his limbs and jacked his bow up,take it out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-03-2007, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have a spare garage attached to the house that is not climate controlled. We use it as our storage area for clothes, Christmas decorations, etc. I also keep all my hunting gear in there. I have 6 bows all kept in invidual hard bow cases. I'm knocking on wood as I say this but I have yet to have any problems with any of the bows. It can get as hot as 100 degrees in there in the summer or as cold as -20 with the wind chill in the winter.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you will be just fine, i myself(let the bashing begin) keep mine in the back seat of my truck for the majority of the year through the summer for practice and through hunting season for hunting!! its been this way for at least 4yrs and the only thing I can worry about is the string drying out...but keep it waxed and you should be fined!

The way I look at it is, I would think the bow would take more damage from taking it from a cool house out to the heat and from a toasty warm house out to the freezing cold???

Old 09-03-2007, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WesternMdHardwoods

I think you will be just fine, i myself(let the bashing begin) keep mine in the back seat of my truck for the majority of the year through the summer for practice and through hunting season for hunting!! its been this way for at least 4yrs and the only thing I can worry about is the string drying out...but keep it waxed and you should be fined!

The way I look at it is, I would think the bow would take more damage from taking it from a cool house out to the heat and from a toasty warm house out to the freezing cold???

I agree about the temp change. It does seem to affect the way the bow shoots until the temps even out. I often keep mine out by the bar,which has a roof over it but is not enclosed. I worry a little about humidity,but as long as the strings and cables are waxed this hasn't been a problem. The limbs are fiberglass and the paint has blistered and peeled in spots,but the bow shoots fine.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

DO NOT DO IT!!!!!
Protect that bow just like your kids. I just purchased a Bowtech Commander and my dumbazz left it in the truck at work. Went to the shop after work to shoot and didnt notice the limb had cracked. First shot was right on, shot after shot started going left inch by inch then I realized I screwed up.

Now I had Len order limbs for me but he said Bowtech was soldout of limbs and will be a month til I get them and the season opens in 13 days 9hrs and 10mins. I am lucky enough to have great friends that would lone me a bow and that helps.

Just keep em in the house away from the wife that likes to dry fire them and the dogs that like to chew em. Plus all that heat made the grease run out from the limb pockets and axles and that aint good either.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:05 PM

My roommate left his bow in his 96 ford ranger (Bertha).. and his subs were real hot and the wires (positive / Negative) burnt the string of his bow right off...also i have a buddy who made a cabinet in his garage for his hunting equip. and he started shooting really bad afterwards. I'm not sure what it did to it.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know I wouldn't leave my Vectrix out there.