Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ethical question.... >

Ethical question....

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ethical question....

Old 08-26-2007, 04:42 PM
dws

Default RE: Ethical question....

In my opinion that would be fine for 20 yard shots. But being ethical doesn't neccessarily mean legal. The same way that being unethical doesn't mean something is illegal. It's funny how one state can say 35 lbs. and another will say 40 lbs. when what matters most is the skill and judgement of the hunter in any cicumstance.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

36# will get er done with a well placed 20 yard shot.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:00 PM

I second Fieldmouse... but uh... let me know how that works out for you, maybe I'll give it a shot
Old 08-26-2007, 09:55 PM

ORIGINAL: BowHunterJim

yes but only use like a 2 blade BH adn try to get it to 40. Pull back and hold it for 1 minute 4-5 times a day too.
Just curious, why only a 2 blade BH?
Old 08-26-2007, 10:16 PM
Dominant Buck

If the law states 40 pounds she should be pulling 40 pounds. Pulling the bow back 4 times4 times a day isn't the answer. She needs to be shooting 40-60 arrows a day minimum to build up any strength in the back and arms. If she can only shoot 15 or 20 arrows at a time fine, just do it 3 or 4 times a day. You won't get a "GO AHEAD" from me to break the law.36 pounds is really pretty weak and should be held to 20 yards and under.... "IF IT WERE LEGAL".
Old 08-26-2007, 11:33 PM
Fork Horn

up to 45lbs i dont think anything should be shot one step past 20yrds and use verysharp heads with a heavier weighted arrow. shoot alot thats the best way to get in shape for more weight. with my wife we turn her bow down to about 43lbs and then every week go up a pound for the first two weeks then she normally can take the extra few pounds every couple days and within a month she back at 48# and drawing smoothly.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ethical yes, legal you have to answer that.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:00 AM
BKE
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: strutnbuck

My wife has taken up shooting archery the past 5 months. She loves to hunt and is now intrested in taking deer with her bow. She's only about 100 lbs and slender! Most state laws require 40 lbs on the bow. Right nows she's at 36 lbs and shooting awesome out to 30 yards! She now is pulling her bow back 4-5 times, 4 timesa day trying to get to 40 lbs. I was wondering how everybody felt if she was still only pulling 36 lbs and kept her max. distance at 20 yards, would that be ethical?
First off look into what your state requires, her 36lbs. could be legal ( I know that's NYs' minimum). I think some are going to read this as if you are willing to go against the law (shoot 36 when 40 is reg.) but I'm going to assume you just are wanting opinionsas to whether 36lbs. will do the job efficiently and effectively. A well placed shot (in the vitals) should be no problem.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think getting her to 40lbs may make her accuracy drop. I'd try to get her there but I wouldn't make it the end all. Accuracy is more important.

Does she have a newer bow? That could make all the difference.

Tom
Old 08-27-2007, 08:30 AM

Im not saying you should break the law or should take the chance but I would love to see how many people on here have ever had a DNR officer check the poundage on a bow. Shoot ive never even been checked fora hunting license. Again i will never tell anyone to break the law but some of the wildlife laws arent meant the way they seem. Just like most possession limits they are "tack on" violations or they use them when they have to when they "want" to find a violation. Most of these violations are not meant to hinder the hunters or anglers but they are there to keep people honest. How many police officers cite someone for a license plate light out??????? im not sure ive ever heard of someone getting cited for that as an only violation. Just my two cents from my experiance. Again not saying anyone is above the law or should break it.

Quick Reply: Ethical question....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.