Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 practicing moving shots? >

practicing moving shots?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

practicing moving shots?

Old 08-23-2007, 06:43 PM

Default practicing moving shots?

was wondering how you take and practice for moving shots? i know that waiting for a standing shot is best but i don't want to let a big droptine just walk by my stand at 20 or even 30yds. i've been watching those caribou hunts and they hardly never hold still long enough for the perfect shot. thanx for the help.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: practicing moving shots?

When im shooting my recurve I kick a ball and shoot it on the move. It would be easy with a compound but when you instictively shoot at it its a challege.

Die Hard

23 Days!
Old 08-23-2007, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

i might sound like im "on my throne" or whatever...but anyone that knows me, knows i aint just sayin this to say it...

drop tine world record smasher or not, why risk it? its only a deer. why put it through unnessesary pain and suffering and potentially never finding it, letting it goto waste...why not try and stop it?? why not let it walk and hope he comes back around later or the next day?? just my opinion...but thats how i personally feel. i rather gamble on him coming back in due time than gamble on making a moving shot....
Old 08-23-2007, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

i agree pull back and bleat or grunt to get him to stop then take the shot or don't take it at all

[/align]
Old 08-23-2007, 07:28 PM
Typical Buck

I almost never try to stop them unless they are really moving along. When you stop them it puts them on full alert, resulting in a shot over their back. I practice a lot and am very confident in my shooting ability. I too use the ball technique. I have a friend roll the ball down or along an incline and shoot the ball. I normally use a junky old basketball, they stop the arrow really well and you can shoot them a lot. You'd be surprised how easy it is to hit it.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:13 PM

I only practice still targets, but I did see a video of an interesting technique. These guys would take an old tire, and tape a balloon into the middle of it. On guy would roll the tire, and another would shoot at the balloon.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mauser06

i might sound like im "on my throne" or whatever...but anyone that knows me, knows i aint just sayin this to say it...

drop tine world record smasher or not, why risk it? its only a deer. why put it through unnessesary pain and suffering and potentially never finding it, letting it goto waste...why not try and stop it?? why not let it walk and hope he comes back around later or the next day?? just my opinion...but thats how i personally feel. i rather gamble on him coming back in due time than gamble on making a moving shot....
Because I may never get a shot at another one that big! I'd shoot at him if he was walking slow and he was close! JMHO
Old 08-23-2007, 10:36 PM
Typical Buck

I think you could learn how to stop them faster, then learning to shoot at a moving target.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:36 PM

I took a shot at two deer moving and i got them both, as long as there not going too fast I don't think its that hard to get them.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:52 PM
Typical Buck

our 3-d range has a running target and i wait for it to stop! case and point!

Quick Reply: practicing moving shots?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.