Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bad news 50 dead........ >

Bad news 50 dead........

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bad news 50 dead........

Old 08-21-2007, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bad news 50 dead........

Man you Pa boys are having a hell of a time with your deer heard!!!
Old 08-21-2007, 07:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

Man you Pa boys are having a hell of a time with your deer heard!!!
LOL, Our herd is doing great in my neck of the woods. Lines on a map don't stop deer, Maryland isn't that far from there.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just read about an incident in Ky on another site:

Hemorrhagic Disease Suspected in Deer Deaths
in 11 Kentucky Counties

View Map

Aug 14, 2007

Learn more about hemorrhagic disease

Frankfort, Ky. - The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources is investigating recent reports of white-tailed deer deaths in 11 counties, primarily in western Kentucky. Officials suspect the animals died of hemorrhagic disease.

The most significant outbreak is in McLean County, where more than 20 deer have been reported dead. Officials have also received reports of deer deaths in Breckinridge, Christian, Daviess, Hopkins, Logan, Muhlenberg, Ohio, Simpson and Webster counties. People usually find the dead or weak and emaciated deer near water.

“Hemorrhagic disease is caused by a virus. We see large outbreaks about every two years in Kentucky,” said Danny Watson, a wildlife biologist with the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources.

With deer hunting seasons opening next month, hunters are concerned about the safety of eating deer that may be infected with hemorrhagic disease. Hemorrhagic disease is not infectious to humans.

Biting gnats transmit hemorrhagic disease between deer. Hemorrhagic disease usually occurs in late summer and early fall because of the increased presence of these biting gnats. Although deer affected with the acute form of hemorrhagic disease are most often seen in late summer, deer with chronic cases can be found in winter.

Hemorrhagic disease occurs annually in the southeastern United States, but its distribution and severity of occurrence widely varies. Less than 25 percent of the deer in a population usually die from the disease, but death rates can be higher in certain cases.

Signs of the disease depend on the strength of the virus and length of infection in the animal. Hemorrhagic disease causes fever, labored breathing and swelling of the head, neck, tongue and eyelids. Infected deer may die within 72 hours, or they may slowly deteriorate for months from lameness and starvation. Early in the cycle of the disease, animals may show little or no sign of infection. Infected deer that survive for a period of time experience lameness, loss of appetite and greatly reduced activity.

In some instances, outbreaks occurred simultaneously in deer, sheep and cattle. This is not due to the disease spreading from deer to livestock or vice versa, but is an indication the biting gnats are present in significant numbers to transmit disease

Old 08-21-2007, 08:24 PM

bump for whoever wanted info
Old 08-21-2007, 08:41 PM

ORIGINAL: BowHunter46

Keep in mind, they only suspect that its EHD. They also said that the symptoms of EHD are similar to CWD.

I hope they're right. Id rather see a few deer die from EHD that a couple hundred deer shot because of CWD.[]
^^Agreed
Old 08-21-2007, 08:52 PM
Typical Buck

I just talked with my brother in TN and they have had some farmers report 10-20 dead. The TWRA believes it to also be EHD along with the drought conditions possibly making it worse.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:01 PM

Thank god I'm in Center County! Why is it always the PA deer that contract diseases!
[:@]
Old 08-23-2007, 06:52 AM
Typical Buck

So that was the big scare that took place a few years ago, when everyone was saying that CWD was in PA. There were alot of people that were afraid to hunt down there because they thought it was CWD and didn't want any tainted meat.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:22 AM

I was worried there when I first saw the title of this thread. I thought you guys meant 50 Cent was dead.[8D]
Old 08-23-2007, 10:07 PM

good i live in southeastern hope it doesnt spread and they can control it

Quick Reply: Bad news 50 dead........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.