Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Recovery, What to do After the Shot. >

Recovery, What to do After the Shot.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Recovery, What to do After the Shot.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:40 PM
Spike

Default RE: Recovery, What to do After the Shot.

where did you get these tabs, my badger friend?
Old 10-27-2007, 12:23 PM

List of Distributors....

http://www.bluestar-forensic.com/gb/distributors/usa.php

Here is one site I randomly pulled up. http://www.bloodfinderofnh.com/index.html Pictures of this stuff is VERY impressive. Ive never used it but would be interested in trying it.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Even stomach fluids glow without blood! Every time the deer bounces it sprays 4 feet on either side of the trail! Turn off all your lights and start spraying! You can follow a gut shot deer at a steady and fast pace.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey was just curious, is about six inches penetration when hitting the front shoulder good enough to maybe tap into the vitals. Deer is 4 1/2 and well over 200lbs. I have been hunting him for two years now and have his sheds from the last three. Tracked him about 200 yds before he entered his bedding area and I backed off. Very little blood sign and some of the blood was light color but there was also frost on the ground, it was jumping logs that had fell on the trail he was on. I don't think my rage penetrated that shoulder but Im acting like it did. My KE is about 68 with the Ibo and grain of arrow I shoot, but a shoulder hit is a shoulder hit. I limit myself to one hit a year if its good awesome if its bad I hang it up, so pretty much im done. This is a first for me, hitting the shoulder and so far I don't like it []

Old 10-29-2007, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you got 6" of penetration, you did get the chest cavity, although likely only one lung on a big buck. I dont think that hide to ribs is more than 4" thickat the shoulder on even a big buck like that. Where in the shoulder did you hit him? blood does look light colored on frost but it also might mean a lung.

Iassume you are just waiting a bit before going back after him. if he is still alive and mobileafter 4 hrs with that kind of hit he will probably survive unless its a hard winter. The bad part is with a chunk of arrow in him(?) he will not want to stay bedded. He will keep moving around.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:09 AM

I've had good results with shoulder hits with my Bear Razorheads. I use an ordinary compound bow, roughly 55 lbs draw weight, carbon arrows. On an adult doe at 16 yards, hit low and quartering slightly in, penetrated less than a foot, but good blood trail, 100 yds, dead. On large buck fawn, broadside < 20 yds, broke the humerus, no blood trail, found dead at 50 yds.

I've seen quite a few shoulder hits with conventional ferrule/insert blade type broadheads, with chisel tip or point, and with those type of broadheads I've never seen a successful result on a shoulder hit. Based on your description of the deer, the penetration, the blood trail, I'd be surprised if you find him. My guess is that he'll survive, maybe long term.

By the way, I don't deliberately aim for the shoulder.My point of aim is dead center through the rib cage.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I waited and looked on our property for aboutfour hours and still didn't cover all of it. Saw a lot of deer and found around forty scrapes but not the buck I hit. Wednesday I'll sit in my gun stand and scope the area and see if he is running with any does...........that would be awesome. I had a friend look at the arrow and he thinks I only got one inch penetration with blood dripping down the shaft and that is what it looked like.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:42 AM
Typical Buck

One other thing to consider when taking up trail ona deer. The wind!
I was on track of a doe I hit and the wind was so stong it would blow away and cover any leaves that had blood. Be sure to check the other vegitation for sign and don't be afraid to get onyour hands and knees and sort through the leaves.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rob You,re the cats
Old 11-21-2007, 06:17 AM

Rob - Excellent post. I wish I'd have known about huntingnet.com and this annual post earlier in my bow hunting career. The first deer I shot 3 years ago in my first bow hunting season, the adrenalin was pumping and I absolutely couldn't make myself stay up the tree (definite lack of self discipline). The deer ran off with back humped and I could hear her stop a few yards into the brush. I got down after 15 minutes and the noise from my climber must have pushed the deer. I found blood in a couple of places but no trail and lost the animal. I felt so bad, I almost gave up hunting altogether to keep from injuring another animal. I got my first kill this year finally and the experience and humility of that first hunt made me stay put long enough for the deer to expire. I hope this post keeps someone else from getting that feeling. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Recovery, What to do After the Shot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.