Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hmm, a tuning problem? >

Hmm, a tuning problem?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hmm, a tuning problem?

Old 08-20-2007, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default Hmm, a tuning problem?

I am a newbie to bow hunting this year. I have my PSE shooting very nicely, with consistent groups at 20 and 30 yards, and my confidence grows with each practice session on 40 yd shots, although some shots are still a little erratic. However, I have a little problem. My sight pins are very very close to being blocked by the bow string/cable when I look through my peep. I have almost run out of adjustment to the right on my sight (I am right handed), but my bow is shooting straight with no variance (that I can tell) at different yardages as far as left-to-right goes. How I can I fix this? Does my rest need to be stinted a hair to the left?

This doesn't bother me all that much at the target range, but the cable being that close sometimes distracts me when I come to draw, and I can imagine how problematic it might be in a hunting situation or in low light.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:23 AM

Default RE: Hmm, a tuning problem?

just got my pse fixed two days ago. been hunting with it for about six years with just barely being able to see the pins. was shooting "fine" was able to group it no problem. switched over to carbons this year and had to change a few things, so I decided I should paper tune it for the first time. Turns out that the rest was too far to the right. Moved the rest to the left to get my arrows shooting true, which in turn moved my sights out.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have you shot broadheads and/or tried tuning for them? If not Isuggest you do so. You may have to make some adjustments to the rest, which may help the situation.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:33 AM

My thoughts exactly years ago I shot a pse magma infinity, same thing almost couldnt see pins, I paper tuned and the rest was way out of whack.When you paper tune try using broadheads after field points I do this and my groups are tight out to 60yds and that's as far as i ever shoot!
Old 08-20-2007, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your bow is out of tune dude... Your string/pins/arrow should all be in line with each other when you hold your bow out in front of you... If it's not then you have some tuning to do
Old 08-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys...I hate to beat a dead horse, but I am a newbie. Can anyone run through the proper way to paper tune a bow?
Old 08-20-2007, 02:12 PM

eastonarchery.com

go to downloads

click on tuning guide

check Table of Contents, go to the page of paper tuning. well heck, read the whole guide, it will put you where you want to be if you follow it.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TEmbry15

eastonarchery.com

go to downloads

click on tuning guide

check Table of Contents, go to the page of paper tuning. well heck, read the whole guide, it will put you where you want to be if you follow it.

Ditto: You can't really get things easier than this.

In reference to what longbeard said. Most times, once your bow is tuned and sighted in, the pins will be outside center for a right hand shooter. Usually 1/8" to 1/4". This is to counteract the side torque induced by the cable guard. Just accept it and don't worry about it. It's normal.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys
Old 08-20-2007, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice buck in your aviater... I'm guessing gun huh

Quick Reply: Hmm, a tuning problem?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.