Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Let 'em go and let 'em grow!!!!!!!!!!! >

Let 'em go and let 'em grow!!!!!!!!!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Let 'em go and let 'em grow!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-20-2007, 12:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Let 'em go and let 'em grow!!!!!!!!!!!

Quality Deer Management (QDM) is a management philosophy/practice that unites landowners, hunters, and managers in a common goal of producing biologically and socially balanced deer herds within existing environmental, social, and legal constraints. This approach typically involves the protection of young bucks (yearlings and some 2.5 year-olds) combined with an adequate harvest of female deer to maintain a healthy population in balance with existing habitat conditions and landowner desires. This level of deer management involves the production of quality deer (bucks, does, and fawns), quality habitat, quality hunting experiences, and, most importantly, quality hunters.

A successful QDM program requires an increased knowledge of deer biology and active participation in management. This level of involvement extends the role of the hunter from mere consumer to manager. The progression from education to understanding, and finally, to respect; bestows an ethical obligation upon the hunter to practice sound deer management. Consequently, to an increasing number of landowners and hunters, QDM is a desirable alternative to traditional management, which allows the harvest of any legal buck and few, if any, does.

QDM guidelines are formulated according to property-specific objectives, goals, and limitations. Participating hunters enjoy both the tangible and intangible benefits of this approach. Pleasure can be derived from each hunting experience, regardless if a shot is fired. What is important is the chance to harvest a quality buck - an opportunity lacking in many areas under traditional management. When a quality buck is taken on a QDM area, the pride can be shared by all property hunters because it was they who produced it by allowing it to reach the older age classes which are necessary for large bodies and antlers.
First underlined is presumptive.

"Quality Hunters"??? So those that don't practice QDM are.....what?

And now we're "ethically obligated" to practice QDM if we are to "respect" our quarry?????

"What is important is the chance to harvest a quality buck" - It took him a while to get to this.....which is all he wanted to really say, anyways (IMO).

These kinds of articles HURT QDM as much as they help......and like I said.....I will be on board, this year.....and in the subsequent years.

Just my opinion.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Plus One

You know, I was sitting here eating pretzels and enjoying the tennis match until I read this one and for some reason it got to me.

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Gary.....most guys in your camp don't want to talk. They want to cram their ideaology down everyone's throats. "Work together"??? Who's asking for help? I don't see anyone asking? I see a lot of "telling", though.
Jeff, while this may be true in many cases, I think that the "telling" is borne out of frustration. We all know that for a buck to reach trophy status it must be allowed to age. For those that want to hunt a trophy buck, but don't have the means to own land or access exclusive private property or leases, they have to try to work with other hunters. When their initial suggestion is met with, "I'll shoot what I want." they have to turn to trying to convince the others to see things their way. When this is met with resistance it causes preaching and animosity.

It's easy not to preach when you're not the trophy hunter, all you have to do is pull a trigger.
HuntingBry, I'm not trying to poke at you or anyone else on here, please don't take this personally, but its smarmy parting shots like this that will turn people off. If people are from the Brown/Down clan or QDM clan, it doesn't matter, you reap what you sow.

Ken
Ken, I definitely don't take it personally. The parting shot was meant to get a reaction, and it did. I'm not a trophy hunter, in fact, I have yet to shoot a P&Y class buck. I also don't push my agenda on others, but have seen what having a large population of "it's brown it downers" can do to a deer herd across a state, and it ain't pretty. In fact, my agenda is to shoot something bigger than my previous biggest which requires nothing from anyone but myself.

My statements were basically to say that a trophy hunter needs bucks to be let go to grow to their standards. Those that shoot anything legal are not restrained by anything but the law, so their actions are interfering with the trophy hunter's goals. While what they are doing is perfectly legal and there is nothing wrong with it, the trophy hunters get frustrated when they see tomorrow's trophy in the back of a pickup as an adolescent. I'm not saying it's not wrong to push others to stop doing something that makes them happy and is perfectly legal, because anytime you push your ideals on someone else it is wrong (that's what anti's are trying to do to all of us). I'm just saying I understand why they get frustrated.

Atlas, why don't you shut up and shoot a button buck. Just teasing, good to see your paying attention.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:06 PM
Typical Buck

These kinds of articles HURT QDM as much as they help......and like I said.....I will be on board, this year.....and in the subsequent years.

Just my opinion.
That is funny because it came from the QDM website
Old 08-20-2007, 01:09 PM
Dominant Buck

SO??

I assumed it did.....which makes it WORSE! You'd think someone in the upper levels of Management would cull the dumbass that wrote that. Natural selection, ya know???
Old 08-20-2007, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

Well I might as well get a couple of licks in on this old horse.

Why is it that the QDMA specifically says that QDM is not for every hunter or every piece of property. They even give a list of questions i.e Do you have the resources? Do you have enough land? Do you have landowner cooperation? etc. etc. The inventors of the whole QDM strategy know it is not for everyone but apparently some oftheir members and advocates didn't get the memo or bother to read through the QDMA site thoroughly enough to wrap their brains around that fact. Well just in case you skimmed through and missed this part from the QDMA website:

Is QDM Right for You?

Quality deer management is not a panacea and many things should be considered before implementing QDM practices on your hunting land. If you answer yes to the following questions, QDM may be right for you. · Do you have enough acreage to manage your deer population without being severely affected by hunting pressure on adjacent properties? If not, will your neighbors join you and possibly others in forming a QDM cooperative? · Is the habitat on your hunting property adequate to produce and maintain a healthy deer herd? If not, do you and your hunting companions have the funds, equipment, and commitment to manage and improve the habitat? · Do the deer-hunting regulations in your state allow enough flexibility to manage your herd? Does your state wildlife agency encourage and assist landowners with management and allow adequate doe harvests? · Are you and your hunting companions prepared to commit to a long-term (often five or more years) management program? · Do you and your hunting companions understand the financial, time, and energy commitments and have realistic expectations regarding a QDM program?
When considering QDM, realistic expectations must be stressed. Management goals should be set with the potential of the local herd in mind. As a quality herd becomes established, it is important not to let expectations exceed the capabilities of the herd or habitat. Significant changes to deer herds and deer habitats do not happen overnight and often take several years to become obvious.
Yes, I quoted myself. From like page 11 of this very thread. The Quality Deer Management Association founders know that QDM is not for everyone,why is it so hard fortheir member/advocates to accept it.
Since we are quoting from their site wolfen68.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wolfen68

Just my opinion.
So this is what is of importance to the QDM people: "What is important is the chance to harvest a quality buck" ? Not the health of the herd or the sex ratios or the age ratios but the "chance to harvest a quality buck"?
Old 08-20-2007, 01:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Not the health of the herd or the sex ratios or the age ratios but the "chance to harvest a quality buck"?
I don;t believe THAT, either, Bruce.....to be fair.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not the health of the herd or the sex ratios or the age ratios but the "chance to harvest a quality buck"?
I don;t believe THAT, either, Bruce.....to be fair.
LOL I wouldn't think so either but then they need to do some Quality Article Management, QAM, and cull that one . It makes their message unbalanced LOL
Old 08-20-2007, 01:37 PM

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

My statements were basically to say that a trophy hunter needs bucks to be let go to grow to their standards.
Then the trophy hunter should let bucks pass if that is what he wants..........I always find it interesting how TDM guys say that the excuse "someone else will just kill him" doesn't hold water........yet they feel helpless passing on small bucks all by themselves.........why is that???.....maybe because someone else just kills them?? Must be because they keep hitting up everyone else to follow along.

If "someone will just shoot him" is bogus then a trophy hunter should not need help because all the bucks he passes will live another year right?

Those that shoot anything legal are not restrained by anything but the law, so their actions are interfering with the trophy hunter's goals.

Oh my God...........how horrible for them. Surely they can't be expected to handle such a vicious assault on their souls. There must be someone we can sue to put a stop to this [:@]

While what they are doing is perfectly legal and there is nothing wrong with it
I stopped reading right here.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:40 PM

I'm ready who else is!?!?!?!

Quick Reply: Let 'em go and let 'em grow!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.