Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Let 'em go and let 'em grow!!!!!!!!!!! >

Let 'em go and let 'em grow!!!!!!!!!!!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Let 'em go and let 'em grow!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-19-2007, 08:21 PM

Default RE: Let 'em go and let 'em grow!!!!!!!!!!!

Atlasman,

If it is so easy then why dont you do it. truth is it takes work to put in the hours to devolp the land and the deer. Dont bash someone cuz u are jealous.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:23 PM

great post gobbler getter
Old 08-19-2007, 08:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: atlasman

Work for it??.....

How is buying a piece of land and just not shooting anything for a couple years while you feed them artificial supplements to grow their racks considered "working for it"??
Honestly, it's certainly work to put in food plots, time and money as well and that is certainly harder than doing nothing and shooting the first 1.5 year old that walks by.

This is what I don't understand about the TDM crusade. It has been proven time and time again (see above) that it requires absolutely no additional skill to kill bigger bucks if you just don't shoot them for a couple years............naturally there are more of them around and they become easier to find and kill. Why would you want to make what you do LESS satisfying??
I'd say that is true, IF there are more of them but it's certainly harder to kill a more mature deer than it is a 1.5 year old IF again IF the numbers are low. Is that not true atlasman?

To kill a monster buck in an area where people rarely even see them is something to be proud of...........to drag something out that will make guys shake their heads in amazement that a deer that size came from those woods..........THAT is something to strive for and THAT is worthy of RESPECT!!!
Totally agree and you made my last question. Thank you and no one could agree with that.

Any clown can kill a big buck where they are plentiful..............just turn on a hunting show if you want proof.
True that, we see it on TV all the time and I am surely not impressed with the shooter, yes with the animal, no to the shooter.

Seriously, who had the tougher task and is deserving of more praise???..........the guy who drops a big boy in Illinois...........or similar deer dropped in Delaware.
Depends on the location.

NO HE DIDN'T JUST TYPE THAT.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:27 PM

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

Do you have a problem when fish and game place a length limit on bass? Its done for the quality of the bass. It works with deer to if enough people subscribe to it in the area or it is forced upon them.

Catch and release comparisons don't work. They are based on numbers and numbers alone. They want and need the fish to survive so they apply limits to avoid dangerously low population numbers.........they also just want MORE fish in the waters for people to catch and enjoy fishing. They understand that a kid is gonna lose interest in fishing REAL soon if he sits for 5 days without even a nibble. Catch and release has NOTHING to do with egos and trophies..........it's all about having enough fish for everyone to enjoy fishing.

There are already limits on deer hunting. Tag limits dictate how many deer you can take year after year. This is done for the same reason as catch and release.........population control. No one cares what deer you kill........they care how many you kill.........can't be too many or too few or problems will result.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ok but it sounded good at the time.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

Ok but it sounded good at the time.

hahaha, i like your honesty
Old 08-19-2007, 08:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Bowhunter4life

Atlasman,

If it is so easy then why dont you do it.

Because I don't care................I am happy with what the natural woods (my woods) provides. I would get no additional satisfaction from killing a big deer that I basicially "grew" on my property. JMO

Dont bash someone cuz u are jealous.
Jealous of what???.........I have worked EXTREMELY hard in my life to get where I am today and I fully understand the concept. I have the money and the free time to do pretty much whatever I want to as far as hunting goes.........Don't bash me because I have a different point of view.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Atlas...

I think this is a fair question....

Would your outlook be different if you lived in a more big buck rich environment? Or....do you care if you ever shoot a big one with your bow......or not?

No wrong answers.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:48 PM

ORIGINAL: lrhuntr

I'll add one more thing. Yes I hunt private land in Wisconsin. Wisconsin is known for big bucks as is other states. The land I hunt on, I dont have permission to plant a food plot. The land isn't that good for deer. Its a very suburban area with weed and wheat fields. There is a river threw it though. There are more does than a person could count. I shoot what makes me happy here because I know that just letting a buck go isn't going to help his antler growth. He needs a good food source and adaquite land to live on. Here he doesn't have either. The does just add more stress because he's going to try to breed as many as he can. I know stress is another anter growth killer. I am shooting as many does as possible this year. I shot two last year. If a buck that I'm happy with steps out here I will take him because I haven't shot a buck with a bow yet. To me, this land is unrepairable. With more houses being built I'm sure that it will be gone in a couple years. Its sad yes and I wish it wouldn't happen but thats what it looks like. I have land that my family owns that I will try to plant a small food plant in next year. My uncle who lives close to this land could probulary help withthe equipment part of it.That land is great. I know before I started hunting it, there were really good bucks shot off of it. I haven't seen any there yet in two years of bowhunting there but I managed to shoot a mature doe there last year. This land I will try to pass small bucks up because I know it has potential. In my last post I was angry because I was only thinking of the land I first mentioned. Believe me, I know QDM works but people need to realize that some don't have the land, equipment, or moneynecessary to practice QDM. I apologize wolfen68 and I don't want start fighting on here. We as hunters can't fight each other, we have to fight people that don't want any of this at all. Ok I need to stop typing, its starting to hurt.

*EDIT* I forgot to add that the first land I talked about is in a Herd Control Unit and the last one I just talked about is in a Earn-a-Buck unit.
Brother, I ain't mad at ya! Believe me...I appreciate your struggle and I am there, been there, and I will continue to be there because my fine state has done very well in it's preservation of it's herd but of course opportunist have noticed, and nowwhere 20 years ago I could knock on a door and hunt, I now have lost to out of state hunters from places where browner downers with old schoolold money can afford to leaseor be the leasee on properties all around me. These guys don't give a hoot about the does and pass every one...but any buck pushing a spread inside the ears gets an arrow flung at them whether it be 10 yards or 70 yards and they usually miss or leave grub for the yotes...I know...I have helped track them...very sad. Bottem line...know it or not...we are all in this together.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you injoy deer hunting (not just trophy hunting)QDM is the way to go. Yes big racks generate big money, I likebig racks and money. But thats not what its all about. Shoot a small (not inmature)bucks if you want to, it will benefit the over all herd health and dynamics.Take all the dose you are aloted, please. Just trynot to kill young bucks (1 1/2 to 21/2)and pass up dose,it will have aNEGATIVE it impack and there will be no deer to hunt. A mature doe is harder to kill than an inmature buck but ifyou work hard I know you can do it. Not useing QDM is selfish.

Quick Reply: Let 'em go and let 'em grow!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.