Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Let 'em go and let 'em grow!!!!!!!!!!! >

Let 'em go and let 'em grow!!!!!!!!!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Let 'em go and let 'em grow!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-19-2007, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Let 'em go and let 'em grow!!!!!!!!!!!

Well put. Your philosophy will pay dividends to you in the long run.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:14 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: Dr Andy

Greg, I hunt in Clumbia County Wi most of the time. It's A herd reduction zone and they give you 4 tags a day for free!. I want to put something on the wall at my buddy's cabin. It's not like I only get to shoot one,and according to the DNR I'll be doing a public service. At last count they have over 45 deer per sq. mile,this includes all the ag land. I don't think I'm hurting anything. BTW it would have to be a big 6
I thought you hunted Lake county. I've never hunted coloumbia Co. and am not qualified to speak on it. My bad.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:15 PM

Josh, i understand you from that point, but if you have private land to hunt, manage it!
Old 08-19-2007, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

You have a great point Josh. Do you have a problem when fish and game place a length limit on bass? Its done for the quality of the bass. It works with deer to if enough people subscribe to it in the area or it is forced upon them.
I dont have a problem with that, due to the simple fact that 99.9% of bass wont live to see 5 lbs, whether you fish for them or not. I've read some studies that claim that 1 out of 1,000 eggs a fish lays will reach maturity.

Deer have no where near that mortality rate. Deer are over populated here as it is, even with the "brown its down" mentality.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:18 PM

I see does almost on every outing i have, and normally they are within range, now they may not be the first deer i see but i do see them, i just dont buy the meat hunters arguement because doe meat is deer meat to but it seems like most "meat hunters" take more small bucks than does. I think that alot of meat hunters think that they must kill a buck
Old 08-19-2007, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

With the unlimited tags I plan on hunting the first week the first of october the end of october and nov9-12. I'll hopefully see a lot. And I do plan on taking more does if I can. Last year some yahoos were caught baiting on the opening day of gun season and the property was quarantined for 10 days,the gun hunters got zero bucks there.
You're right though I probably will wait and see,last year I passed on several forks. I did shoot a button buck there, they are good eating but I've learned to tell the difference and plan on letting them pass too. Thanks for your input,good luck to you and shoot straight!
BTW are you ever going to get new camo,or are you intentionally going for the retro look?
Old 08-19-2007, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Josh, i understand you from that point, but if you have private land to hunt, manage it!
I do ALL of my hunting from private land (half is owned by myself or family, the other half by a game warden I'm friends with), and we do manage it. We require the harvesting of does, but we certainly dont belittle someone if they want to take a 1.5 year old buck. I'm really not comdeming anyone who managing the deer on their land the way they want - I just expect equal treatment if I chose to manage my land differently.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: JoshKeller

You have a great point Josh. Do you have a problem when fish and game place a length limit on bass? Its done for the quality of the bass. It works with deer to if enough people subscribe to it in the area or it is forced upon them.
I dont have a problem with that, due to the simple fact that 99.9% of bass wont live to see 5 lbs, whether you fish for them or not. I've read some studies that claim that 1 out of 1,000 eggs a fish lays will reach maturity.

Deer have no where near that mortality rate. Deer are over populated here as it is, even with the "brown its down" mentality.
Josh I do not know WV numbers, but I bet your buck harvest is way more than your doe harvest is, is this correct?

If so it is just like MI, in MI we kill plenty of deer. If we could reverse the numbers we would be in much better shape in the next decade.

States like Iowa have killed more does than bucks last 3 years or so(Not sure).
Old 08-19-2007, 04:23 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: Dr Andy

BTW are you ever going to get new camo,or are you intentionally going for the retro look?
It hasn't worn to the point of replacement yet and I don't think it's hurt my sucess.

Btw, I bought that coat in 1986 and still wear it. How many people can still wear the same size for 20+ years?[:-]
Old 08-19-2007, 04:24 PM
Fork Horn

JoshKeller, your avitar has a bass that is what, 10lbs. plus? Do you strive to catch the big bass or just any bass? If you strived to just catch anything, you wouldn't have put a fish on your avitar that most people would never catch, let alone, see. There are many of us who practice QDM and like I say take what makes you happy. By the look of your avitar, your fish would be a Boone & Crockett by deer standards.

Quick Reply: Let 'em go and let 'em grow!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.