Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What the heck are folks thinking? >

What the heck are folks thinking?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What the heck are folks thinking?

Old 08-19-2007, 09:26 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What the heck are folks thinking?

I think concealment has is about 90% of the battle. Because last year I wasn't able to set up my stand until the first day that I was able to hunt...anyways I sweat my ass off getting up there. Of course before I went out I sprayed down and showered with Scent-Away. But I mean I was sweating pretty bad. The deer seemed more cautious as they came through, but I still could have shot a couple of the does. I had some fawns actually grazing around right under my stand for about an hour.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would think brushing your teeth with baking soda would be a good idea to conceal any mouth odor then using the Gum-O-Flauge to help keep away any more bad odorsfrom coming back.Just think when you brush your teeth with mint flavored tooth paste how good and fresh your breathe smells afterwards.I can see using this type of scent eliminations when Bow Hunting because you have to let the deer get so close.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:00 PM
Typical Buck

I'm quite sure after some of the parties we've had at deer camp the night b4 the only real problem deer have walking by our stands is a contact buzz. Seriously I'm scent religious when it comes to hunting my uncle isn't we both see and get plenty of bucks in bow range Makes me wonder? We do both pay close attention to the wind though
Old 08-19-2007, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

If they make it a idiot will buy it... The world is prob 90% idiots... I like to consider myself in the other 10%
Old 08-19-2007, 02:12 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: LouisianaTomkat

I would just love to know where a person gets the high-falootin' idea that a deer has the sense to figure out where bad breath is coming from? It is no different than any other smell that is strange to a deer. So why do you think this is the most important orifice to keep from stinking? A deer is a curious animal as has been proven over and over. The main thing is keeping the main thing the main thing. And that is, never allowing the deer you are hunting to associate your smells with danger. ie., Movement, carelessly flinging arrows, clinking noises form bows/stands. If deer already associate your smell as danger "just instinctively", then why will they come directly under your stinkin stand at night and take a dump or make a rub/scrape? I am not talking a week or even 2 days after you were last there. I am talkin the night after you had an evening hunt in the same stand. This kind of thinking has got me thinking that camo/concealment has to play a way more important role in getting close than does scent control.

OK, enough for Sunday morning. If you feel impelled to wring my neck, well, ok.[:-]

LT
I think a deer is capable of discerning whether or not the source of a smell is still present or not. Otherwise deer that exist with high predator populations, (wolves, yotes, cats etc) would die of exhaustion running from place to place if they couldn't tell the difference of where and when a smell was detected.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

If they make it a idiot will buy it... The world is prob 90% idiots... I like to consider myself in the other 10%
100% agreed. If they can smellmy breath that well, then they can smell my crack pretty far away.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:59 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Predator19

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

100% agreed. If they can smellmy breath that well, then they can smell my crack pretty far away.
Thats a GOOD ONE, can anyone say they never passed gas in their stand, the other side of the woods was torn up from the animals stampeeding getting away from the danger. Ive made a post in the past about this, if you hunt in a urban type area, the deer are not going to spook from your odor, " unless you havent had a bath in two weeks, then I think you will run off more than the deer, includeing the skunks!", they are pretty much use to human scent, breath being part of it. Ive had deer right under my stand smelling my tobacco juice then go about their bussiness. People watch too much tv and get sucked into what the advertisers want to sell, I would guess our fathers, grandfathers, greatgrandfathers really had it tough without all the crap they are selling today!!! must have never been able to shoot a deer. Daily hygeene is the only thing you need to worry about, take a shower, brush your teeth, and dont use aftershave, " unless it smells like doe in estrus like someone else mentioned!!!. Thats my 2 cents worth!!!.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:16 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: LouisianaTomkat

then why will they come directly under your stinkin stand at night and take a dump or make a rub/scrape?
LT
Because you're not there and they're letting you know what they think!

BTW, I think that deer "associate" human smell of any kind with danger and it puts them on alert.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

BTW, I think that deer "associate" human smell of any kind with danger and it puts them on alert.
Gospel!
Old 08-19-2007, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chew parsley! It helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.