Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Thinking bout getting my GF a bow... >

Thinking bout getting my GF a bow...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thinking bout getting my GF a bow...

Old 08-18-2007, 06:36 AM

Default RE: Thinking bout getting my GF a bow...

I shoot a 2007 Bear Element with the 50# limbs and absolutely love it. I know quite a few women hunters that shoot the same bow as myself with either the 50# or 60# limbs and love their bows. So, of course I'd recommend the bow.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I found a bow on ebay that was perfect for my girlfriend (now fiance), saved me tons of $$. It was a hardly used martin saber. Shes on here now and then as "saberbabe".

She loves it, well, atleast likes it. She preferes to shoot her bow over a shotgun or something. So keep your eyes on ebay...

The bow is 35-50# which is perfect, I started her at 35 and slowly worked her up to 48# so she can deer hunt, hopefully this year she'll kill one.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:35 AM
OGW

For a begginner I would suggest a Mathews Genesis.
I got one for my Wife and she absolutely loves it, it's easy for her to pull, and She's become good enough with it that She enjoys our little competitions at the archery range.
Fun is the Key with a begginner!!!
You can always get her something later on to hunt with...but make it easy to begin and get the fever first
Old 08-18-2007, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have become a big fan of the Diamond Edge after purchasing one for my daughter. Got the bow fully setup for $299 @ BPS.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:44 AM

I had a High country Lite Force, but my husband just bought me a Diamond Rapture Lite and I love it. It's quiet, feels good, and shoots great! My son has a parker challenger and loves that too. Have her try shooting a few and see what she likes!
Old 08-18-2007, 08:13 AM

Is she going to hunt with it or just learn to shoot with you? Not too sound chauvinistic or anything but I think a 60 lb peak weight bow might be a bit much. Unless she is in real good physical condition. I am a small guy and I when I got my first bow I was in real good shape. I worked in a factory all day slinging 70 lb air conditioning pumps around (couple thousand a day). I'll be honest, my 50-60 lb bow was a bit much at first.

My suggestion would be to take her to a few shops and get her a bow she can smoothly pull, even if it means getting her a 30-40 or 40-50 lb bow. If it was a good enough bow she could hunt with 50 lbs, she would just have to limit her range.

The first bow I got my girlfriend was an Alpine Micro. It was a decent bow for under 200 bucks. Browning makes a nice one as well. Very adjustable and shoots pretty good. Has quite a bit of handshock and noise though. A year or so ago I got her a hoyt Rintec for her birthday. Much nicer bow, but cost closer to 400 bucks (target model). I don't think they make them anymore though.[&o] If she is going to hunt the bowtech equalizer would be a really good choice. Parker makes some nice youth/womens bows as well. And PSE makes like 3 million models so I'm sure you could find something in their line up.

What ever you do I suggest you got to a good shop or two and let HER look around and see what SHE likes. Then have them set some up to fit her. When you get one see if they give lessons, most will give a few free if you get the bow from them. I originally taught my girlfriend how to shoot but when we got the rintec I had them give her some lessons and she seemed to do better with them. I think she felt more comfortable with them than me, which is often the case they told me.

Good luck and let us know how it works out. I would offer some more help but I don't know how much longer I will have internet. I'm sort of shocked it is still on, I told them to go ahead and shut it off a week ago. I might pop into the library now and then though.

I live in Blissfield MI which is close to Ohio, so if you live near me let me know and I can help you out if you want as far going to some shops or something.

Paul
Old 08-18-2007, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bad idea man. Take her shoes off of her throw her in the kitchen and get her pregnant.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:24 AM
Typical Buck

Bows are a very personal thing,thus you need to take her with you to a few shops and let her shoot a few models and pick the one that shoots best for her...............If you buy her one that doesn't fit her just right or she doesn't enjoy shooting,she probably won't use it much.
Ebay is a good way to save some dough,but how can you try it out before you buy it?????????You can't so your stuck with what you get.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:21 PM

back to the browning thing...i have a browning yukon for 350 all set up...it shoots at around 265 feet per second...just an fyi
Old 08-18-2007, 01:16 PM

i the fred bear oddysey is a fairly good priced bow and for someone starting out its perfect to make sure she is goin to like it

Quick Reply: Thinking bout getting my GF a bow...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.