Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is it necessary? >

Is it necessary?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is it necessary?

Old 08-15-2007, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is it necessary?

To shoot over 50lbs? I was shooting at 70 and I decided to make the switch to 55lbs and my form is a lot better, plus I can shoot more arrows. I was talking with a guy in the local bow store and he said for most game i.e. deer, wild boar, coyotes, turkey etc.. 50# is plenty of power and 70 is overkill.

That is partly why I changed to 55#'s. I believe shot placement is the most important thing and if I am more accurate at 55#'s why not? The guy also said our state minimum was 40#'s and they had done studies to validate this etc.. Anyways, I feel comfortable with 55 and wanted to gather some other opinions. I feel I'm being ethical by the state's standards, but I also want to ensure a kill.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:22 PM

Default RE: Is it necessary?

I can probably draw a 100 lbs, but I shoot at 60, more comfortable, I have nothing to prove by pullin 70+.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: the bees knees

I can probably draw a 100 lbs, but I shoot at 60, more comfortable, I have nothing to prove by pullin 70+.
^^ what he said
Old 08-15-2007, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hi robb,
55 is exactly what I shoot. It is comfortable for me and in the past I have had rotator cuff problems. I can certainly pull back more weight but i do feel more strain in the shoulder area when I do.
Frankly I have not shot 55# at a deer yet so i don't have any first hand knowledge that it will consistantly do well to kill deer. However I have been told it is fine.
The problem I see with the light weight is that i would like to actually shoot 1 pin. Right now when i hold dead on with my 20 pin at 30 yards I am seeing 6-7 inches in drop. If i saw 3 or less i would be more comfortable using 1 pin
Old 08-15-2007, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replies guys. I just wanted some confirmation that 55lbs would be good enough. I figure if the state says 40 going 15 above that should be fine. I can pull 70, but I just tend to tire more and practice less.

I always hear people preaching shot placement, and with less weight I am more accurate. It also allows me to hold back longer and if that big deer walks by I don't want to get busted letting off.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can draw my 65 with no problems incold weather or for multiple times so that is what I sit at. I love watching people shooting too much, they have to arch the back and point the bow to the sky.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:08 PM

I know what you are talking about rank. I mean are they going to do that when they go hunting as well. They must be shooting at some mental deer for them not to be seen. However, I pull 70lbs smooth and up until this year I havent had a problem but I have some nerve problems now in between my shoulder blades and I am easing down on the weight. I dont think it is necessary to shoot 70lbs but you are faster. And "I wanna go fast." - Ricky Bobby (The man with 2 first names)
Old 08-15-2007, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

is onlydetermines how deep into the ground the arrow will go
Old 08-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Shoot what you feel comfortable with.

Like was said above, I could comfortably pull a heck of a lot more but I choose to shoot close to if not 70 lbs. I can hold 70 lbs much more steady then I can 60. I'm doing what's right for me. You do what's right for you. That's why there is diversity in bow sales. Your doing the right thing for you. That's a good thing.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SteveO KanevO

I dont think it is necessary to shoot 70lbs but you are faster. And "I wanna go fast." - Ricky Bobby (The man with 2 first names)
Is it necessary.....no, not by any means,but I do anddon't have a problem with it. I've been shooting 70 lbs for about 6 or 7 years now. It's what I like. Just bought a new Drenalin this year set at 70.......she's damn quick, I love it. I too wanna go fast!

Shake and bake man........shake and bake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.