Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Women's bows?

Old 08-13-2007, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Women's bows?

ORIGINAL: Buffinator

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher
LET HER PICK HER OWN BOW! I can't emphasize how important that is (hence the caps!) She needs to be vested in her own decision and not have what somebody else wants forced on her. She needs to go shopping and pick the one that fits and feels best to her.
Uhhh.....yeah, that's my plan. But I prefer going to shop with some kind of idea about what to look for. That's a lot better, IMO, than having some guy start throwing the most expensive pieces they have at me. But thanks for yelling out the obvious anyway.
Buffinator,
Kodiak is a good guy and very helpful on this forum. He wasn't "yelling out the obvious", he was stressing a point. The man is trying to help you out and he really knows his stuff. You'll find thatmost people around here are pretty easy going. I know that isn't always the case in other forums like this, but you don't have to worry about being jumped on here.

50# is more than sufficient for any deer, caribou, or even elk with the kind of bows that you are considering. Best of luck man. I hope she falls in love with it.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:52 AM
vte

My pro shop and my husband pushed a Diamond by Bowtech Rapture Lite on me since "I'm a woman and will never draw more than 40 lbs." I bought that bow since I was not given another choice. I do love it and it will do the job, but there are other bows that my husband wishes now that we would have looked into. Most of them are by Bowtech or Diamond by Bowtech. Take her to bow shops (different shops if you have to) that have a wide variety of bows to choose from in her needs (present and future...she may want to eventually have a higher draw weight for example).
My husband has been pleading with me to trade my bow in for a Diamond by Bowtech Black Ice, a Bowtech Tomcat or a Matthews Mustang.

Best of luck!! Let us know what bow she decides to go with.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:46 AM

My wife shoots a Bowtech Miranda, 40-50#. Greatbow. Not sure if they make it anymore. We purchased it 2 years ago. Smooth, quite, and fairlyfast. Fast enough to take an elk out to 30 yards or so. Just make sure she uses a cut on contact head and not a chisel tip, and she will have more than enough punch to take down most game.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

ORIGINAL: Bob H in NH

40-50 is more than enough weight to take anything, well except some dangerous game, around. Possibly a moose is on the outside edge.

She has to be comfortable with the weight and fit, MAKE SURE IT FITS, my wifes first bow was way to long in the belief she needed more speed. She never shot it well. Get the right draw length and a draw weight she can handle with comfort. Most woman from what I have seen shoot in the 40-50 lb range, over 50 might be pushing it. With todays bows and technology she should get plenty of speed from a 40-50 lb bow.
50# minimum for moose, goats, buffalo, and brown bear up here (not that you need it, but that's the law) but that's beside the point...

LET HER PICK HER OWN BOW! I can't emphasize how important that is (hence the caps!) She needs to be vested in her own decision and not have what somebody else wants forced on her. She needs to go shopping and pick the one that fits and feels best to her.
Like Kodiak says, Let her pick her own Bow, Find one that she likes, that fits her properly, in her price rangeand you cant go wrong.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing matters except what SHE likes. Yes the equalizer is the fastest, and sure the Mathews is great if the guy in her life shoots a Mathews.

My girl has taken up archery over the summer... and shes dang good too. I got her a Parker Challenger in target blue on ebay for $75 and last weekend she shot a 272 in the 3D tourny.... from the Men's Bowhunter Class stakes! Not to mention that she had a zero on one target... if she would have nailed a 10 on that one target, she would have beaten me, the guy I shoot for, and another fellow who I work with who has been shooting for years.

I took her to a bunch of different shops, and we shot a bunch of different bows. Her pick was the Hoyt Trykon Sport. $350 in 40-50#. Plenty enough for deer. We couldn't find a BowTech dealer that had an Equalizer, in fact, the one nearest us flatly told us they would not even order one for us (no sense ever going there for anything). So that was the one we didn't get to shoot. But, she liked the weight, draw cycle and shot of the Trykon Sport best. So thats all that mattered.

The shop didn't have a Selena, but as the rep told me (and I agree), the Selena is just marketed for women. Price is much higher, and even according to Hoyt, the Trykon is a better performer. More parrellel limbs, faster, and probably no more quiet or shock free. Why spend more for less or the same?

I bought the bow for her last week.... but she doesn't know it yet....
Old 08-14-2007, 02:39 PM
Bartender

HYDE check in time for team bow hunting contest.
Team 38 pal and we are up to 9 or 10 avatars to choose from.
ORIGINAL: HYDE

My wife shoots a Bowtech Miranda, 40-50#. Greatbow. Not sure if they make it anymore. We purchased it 2 years ago. Smooth, quite, and fairlyfast. Fast enough to take an elk out to 30 yards or so. Just make sure she uses a cut on contact head and not a chisel tip, and she will have more than enough punch to take down most game.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:50 PM

I have several bows. All Hoyts. I'm kinda a Hoyt girl . I have a Sierratec that I hunt with and love it. It is now the Salena. It is made for women or smaller archers. However, I have a Vulcan that I shoot for 3D. I love that bow even more and fassst. I have it only at 44lbs and I am shooting 286fps. I am going to get another in camo for my hunting bow. Short brace height but doesn't shoot like it. Very accurate.

PS. My hunting bow is set at about 47#s. I've killed deer and pig with it with no problems.