Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New to bowhunting >

New to bowhunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New to bowhunting

Old 08-12-2007, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New to bowhunting

Hey everyone of the bow forums! I'm new to bowhunting... but definitely not new to other types of hunting. I'd like advice. LOTS! All of the info that you want to tell me, please do! Examples: What brands of bows do you prefer? Pull length (I'm not the biggest teenager), axle length, lbs of pull, arrows, sights, silencers, stands, fps with different lbs/pull, scent control (very different from rifle hunting I'm assuming), etc...

Thanks,

Chris
Old 08-12-2007, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: New to bowhunting

Chris sinse you are in Summerville Sc, go in and see Buddy at The Archery Shop. Off hwy 78, just down the road from the Key West boats plant.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

No way bro! You know buddy too? Everybody knows that fella! I used to play poker with that guy... Thats where my dad got his setup from. I used to go to that place about three times a week. In fact, my grandparents live right beside that shop. I could walk from there to my grandparents in about two minutus. I talk to him every once in a while... my friend goes fishing with Bud's father a lot.

Anyways, It'll be about two weeks before I can make it over there... so I'm trying to gather as much info as I can... only 3 more days till deer season.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

No one has advice?
Old 08-14-2007, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

learning about this from scratch....i can tell you that you need to get fitted properly with draw length off the get go...otherwise it takes a long time to adjust..

if you are younger and not extremely strong go with a lighter bow...max of maybe 4 lbs. ... start simple ... peep sight and maybe a kisser button for accuracy...3 pin sight to get things squared first....start with a release...as starting with fingers then going to release is not the easiest thing to do......talk to guys at the archery shop and let them teach you as much as they can....

i shoot a parker and love it....brother is younger and shoot an AR ... good bow too but a little on the heavier side....good luck!
Old 08-14-2007, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hi Chris , i just got myself set-up with my first bow and kit .
Go to an archeryshop and explain that you are new to archery and bowhunting . Get yourself measured up ie : draw length and draw weight . then try some of the bows they have to offer ( set yourself a budget ) and they will help you out with add-ons and accessories .

Worked for me , oh and come back to HN for anymore info or help setting your bow up . These guys are great help .
Old 08-14-2007, 11:00 PM

Chris, definately get in close with a local pro shop. I am going through some of this newby stuff myself. You can't really ask other people about brand or model opinions, because so many of them are very subjective. Kind of like, whats the best brand of four wheeler? You will get more differing opinions than their are even brands. If you are a picky person, and not wealth challenged, you will end up with a few releases, a few quivers, etc. Keep all your receipts, seems to come in handy if you shop at places like Sportsmans Warehouse. Otherwise you will end up with a lot of spare gear, trying to find what you like. Find someone who shoots a certain setup well, and duplicating it might not be a bad place to start. You know at least, that his/her setup works, now just specialize it to you. Good Luck.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:48 PM

find a mentor for your first year.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:52 PM

Welcome to archery man, everyones draw length is different from another person, and you it depends on what your hunting for, you dont need a high pull back poundage for deer, 45lbs.should be enough. As far as bows, if your looking for a cheap and good bow, I'd go for a Martin cheap and good quality. and for the sites, and rests and other stuff, its all on what you prefer. Have fun man, I'm sure you'll love it.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks everybody. Next firday is my birthday... and thats when I plan to get my bow. I'll go to the archery shop and get everything measured and setup.

Thanks for all of yalls help,

Chris

Quick Reply: New to bowhunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.