HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   question about high fence property (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/201839-question-about-high-fence-property.html)

bassfisherman711 08-12-2007 08:14 AM

question about high fence property

If you purchase a high fence property, can you tear down the fence and make it free range, or are there laws against that because you will be releasing artificially breed deer?

Arrowmaster 08-12-2007 08:53 AM

RE: question about high fence property

I would check with the DNR on this issue. I know you cant release turkeys that you have raised in a pen.

Arthur P 08-12-2007 11:37 AM

I'd think it's your property and you can darn well do anything you like with the fence, as long as the land doesn't contain non-native species. But I guess it depends on where you live. Some places don't go in much for landowner rights, I hear, so you should probably do what Arrowmaster suggests.

Predator19 08-12-2007 11:53 AM

I would go talk to the nearest game warden or give hima call.

FOP23 08-12-2007 01:48 PM

People don't buy high fenced property to tear down the fence, too much money is invested in the fencing and the animals contained therein to release them into the wild. It would be much more cost effective to purchase a parcel that does not have afence around it. Just one man's opinion.

Mr. Longbeard 08-12-2007 01:51 PM

My thoughts exactly;)

AK in PA 08-12-2007 01:54 PM

Tearing down the fence in itself won't raise any issue. But if the property was used specifically for breeding and raising animals, someone could have heartburn over the release of those animals, even whitetails. Check with you game commission, DCNR, or whoever your regulating agency is. In any case, God Bless you for the thought!

Chris_H 08-12-2007 03:53 PM

If the animals in your pen are wild (lets say 5000 acres of high fence whitetail) i doubt that tearing down the fence would be a problem. BUT... CALL YOUR LOCAL DNR AND MAKE SURE. THIS WAY YOU CANT SUE ME FOR TELLING YOU WRONG :D

YooperMike 08-13-2007 06:53 AM

My guess is that you would not be able to tear the fence down until the pen raised deer are all gone. When the fence is put up, all native animals have to be driven out. The pen raised deer live in their own little ecosystem where there is a great potential for disease that the wild deer do not have to contend with. Also, most high fence operations have extensive feeding operations, so the deer in the fence are not goign to be well adjusted to natural browse. Definitely check with your local DNR on this one.

kevin1 08-13-2007 09:56 AM

Don't forget your camo...