Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 1st 6 arrows out of the new bow.... >

1st 6 arrows out of the new bow....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

1st 6 arrows out of the new bow....

Old 08-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 1st 6 arrows out of the new bow....

Hey Jeff........if you're shooting a longbow with your hat turned to the front then you aren't anchoring.
IF I try to shoot forgetting to turn my hat around I'll knock it about clear off my head.

Good looking first couple arrows! How cool is that bow? Its holding a feather compared to the metal bows huh?
How's the draw weight feel?

I like to anchor with my middle finger in the corner of my mouth just behind the eye tooth. (I'll edit with a pitcure of my form and anchor) Everyone is different but if that pic is you ready to shoot you are floating out front.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/photo_view.aspx?file=0;2116960

Old 08-11-2007, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's pretty cool Jeff. Keep up the shooting and show us your progress. i haven't shot a stick bow in 20+ yrs and probably would miss the bail with more than 1 arrow.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Dominant Buck

I hear ya on the floating thing, Matt.....and I looked at your pic, too. Are you able to see with both eyes with your bow that vertical?

As far as me anchoring......I've been placing my index finger glove in the corner of my mouth.....and I haven't hit my cap brim, yet. Maybe that's not right????

I shot 31 shots from 15 yds at the bow shop, today. I missed the square paper target only twice......and 2 different rounds (of 6 arrows) I put all arrows inside the 3rd scoring ring on the target. Whoulda thunk it?

I can ONLY speak for me (and I dont want anyone to think this statement has anything to do with them)......but after shooting only as little as I have....I know I won't be satisfied as an archer.....until I take a big game animal with my longbow. Hunting may change for me.....as soon as we get a handle on the herd dynamics, here.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

WOW, got a traditional eh!! what bow is it?? Thats one thing i have always wanted to drag back out and hunt with one of these days. My Dad had kept both my recurves that i started with as a youth. I recently got them back and have them in my basement. They both need new strings.
one of these days.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks for asking, Bloodcreek.

On the advice of my future fellow Pronghorn chasin' buddy....Matt/PA.....I bought a Fred Bear Montana longbow......50#'s (I got the 0% letoff model).....64".

So far.....it's been a lot of fun. I'm gonna go shoot a few more arrows in a bit. My goal is to hunt with it next Fall as much as I want to....and when I hunt certain stands.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff,
There is actually a pretty decent cant there in that pic but it's hard to see. Probably 15 degrees or so?
3 fingers under I like the middle finger in the corner of my mouth because it gets that arrow up closer under my eye and things just seem to line up quicker. Index finger in the corner is too low of an anchor for me and I can't "feel" where the arrow is pointing nearly as well.
If I'm not mistaken the middle finger or even the ring finger in the corner of your mouth is the more standard anchor.

As you become stronger with your form and the muscles adapt to that 0% let off you will find it so easy to slide to and hold anchor. I remember when I was just starting wanting to get rid of the string very quickly.

Now all you need is a little piece of seal skin and some Barge cement to sweeten that shelf area up.

I just got done shooting about 50 arrows myself getting ready for the season.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Matt/PA.....thanks for the tips.

I just shot 24 more arrows.......and tried to work on getting that forward lean out of my posture.

Here's a photo I had Lisa snap.

Hooked?

Yep.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Final group of 6 from 15 yards....

Old 08-11-2007, 05:29 PM

sweet!!
Old 08-11-2007, 05:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff,
Now look at your latest pic, my pic and this one of Bob's (who is a good longbow shooter)
Look at the difference in arrow and hand position between our draws and yours.........You are low and floating. (Just trying to speed up th elearnin' curve for ya )

His is post #327 (I tried to capture the pic but couldn't)

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2140993&mpage=33&key=&#22205 05

Quick Reply: 1st 6 arrows out of the new bow....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.