Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need Help in A Hurry!!! >

Need Help in A Hurry!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need Help in A Hurry!!!

Old 08-10-2007, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need Help in A Hurry!!!

I like stand #4 because it is in the middle ofwhere the fingers ofthe tree lines split up,you should be able to see any deer traveling to or from the line of tree's off either side!
Old 08-10-2007, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

Personally, I would hunt spot #2. It appears to be located on a saddle between two higher points. Bucks are notoriously lazy and will more than likely pass through this point, stay in the finger in the woods and head for that smaller soybean field surrounded by trees and privacy. I've taken some of my best deer (gun and bow) on saddles between ridges. It's a great natural funnel.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:05 PM

I am actually considering that area between number 2 and 3 due to the fact the deer will more than likely use this as a funnel to head out to eat and will have to pass through that section of woods.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:22 PM
Fork Horn

WOW great area to hunt... If I was you I would save a stand for rut hunting only... Try to stay out of it or even around it till rut starts.. That would be stand #4 I would hunt it early once or twice and then stay out of it till rut... It is a awesome funnel for deer that dont want to be out in the open.. Mainly big bucks... I too as one shot said would consider seperating stands 1 & 2 and put #2 furthure down along the standing timber... Also I would maybe put a stand in the direction of the nearest water.. Even if it is quarter mile away that is a skip and jump for a deer.. If their is any little pockets or even a little creek would be considered a spot for deer to water in... On the left where it says standing timber, if that is the property line I would be carefull, Sitting on a fence row close like that could cause problems with the other landowner if a deer happens to expire on his/her land they may not be happy that you were hunting so close.. I personally know people that get pissed about that. You dont want any friction between the 2 landowners that may cause you too lose your spot to hunt and it looks too good to lose...Good luck and keep us posted as to what you decide to do...
Old 08-10-2007, 09:31 PM

I am more than likely going to go in and hunt stand 2 on opening day and try to take a doe or two and do a little scouting and wait for the rut then set up on stand 4 and alternate back to #2. I will keep you posted.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:26 AM

Learned after talking with the land owner tonight that there is a natural spring that always holds water that runs from around stand 4 back into the standing timber. So there is a water source there. Does that change any opinions?
Old 08-11-2007, 08:57 AM

Don't know where you're at (geography wise) but yes it changes! there's your water source. Sooo for early season when it's still hot out....look for deer coming to that water hole!
Old 08-11-2007, 10:49 AM

i would sit stand 4 by the water hole.. and id sit it all day in early season. that looks like the best spot to me anyway.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:49 AM

I agree you can pick a good spot from topo maps, but it will be determined by wind direction. I would uggest wait and see what the wind is doing and then decide. One day deer might be in one spot and the next day they be 50 yards from that spot. Pick a spot and have patience. If you have stands to hang, then hang one in each spot and see what the wind is doing. If you have a climber, then hunt the spot determined by wind direction. Yes you can narrow spots down from topo maps, but it will come down to WIND!!
Old 08-11-2007, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

I would definatly hunt the water in early season, I would also keep that stand 4 in the same spot and not hunt it till rut, even if you have to put another stand 60 yards away from it I would.. I went up and helped a buddy this spring hang some new stands and he told me that last fall he hunted a stand quite a bit (way too often) because he seen a good buck out of it and the deer actually quit using that route and moved about 40 yards furthure down from the spot they had been traveling... I personally wont hunt a standmore than 2 times and then I like to leave it for at least a week b4 hunting it again...They may not leave the areabut will either go nocturnal or start using alternative routes once they feel pressured... Nice to hear ya got a water source... Has it been dry in your area?? If so, should be a prime spot in early season...

Quick Reply: Need Help in A Hurry!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.