HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Big Bucks are smart so.... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/201534-big-bucks-smart-so.html)

GR8atta2d 08-10-2007 08:45 AM

Big Bucks are smart so....

Let me just think out loud here.

We all believe that big bucks are smart in comparison to younger bucks.

We think if we bump them once or twice from an area, even in pre-season scouting they'll be gone.

So suppose for a minute that there was an area that you believed held a couple good bucks,that was off limits to hunting. But you could walk the land. In addition you could hunt surrounding land. Could you then assume that you could walk that non-hunting land just prior to the season and bump those bucks a couple times. Thus having them possibly relocate to your hunt-able property??

I realize the size of this "daytime holding land" would have to be small..so let's say 40 acres or so.

bawanajim 08-10-2007 08:49 AM

RE: Big Bucks are smart so....

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

Let me just think out loud here.

We all believe that big bucks are smart in comparison to younger bucks.

We think if we bump them once or twice from an area, even in pre-season scouting they'll be gone.

So suppose for a minute that there was an area that you believed held a couple good bucks,that was off limits to hunting. But you could walk the land. In addition you could hunt surrounding land. Could you then assume that you could walk that non-hunting land just prior to the season and bump those bucks a couple times. Thus having them possibly relocate to your hunt-able property??

I realize the size of this "daytime holding land" would have to be small..so let's say 40 acres or so.
We'll just get you and Rob to do a two man drive.............;)

GR8atta2d 08-10-2007 08:51 AM

You chuckle but when we are on the same winning team called "The Achilles Heal" it won't be so funny!

CovertOps 08-10-2007 08:52 AM

Not sure. I do know I bumped a buck 2 years ago just once a week beforethe season. I never saw him again. I hunt a 10 acre lot & a 95 acre lot a half a mile away.

hillbillyhunter1 08-10-2007 09:00 AM

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

We'll just get you and Rob to do a two man drive.............;)
Not a bad idea actually. One group I hunt with, we make a little drive to one another after about every morning hunt...killed several that way;)

As for you you're scenario Gr8, It doesn't seem reasonable to think the bucks are hanging in such a small area or will continue to indefinately without coming over the fence on their own, but even if they were and you went in just to "bump them", how could you be sure that they'd only "bump" over to your side of the fence...maybe they'd go farther than that. In any event I don't subscribe to thought that you bump a deer once and that's it, he may change habits or become more cautious (and perhaps too cautious for a given hunter to ever see him again) but generally, I don't think he's going to leave the area after one encounter.

RDHunter 08-10-2007 09:15 AM

Sure ... it's possible , the trick is when your walking all around ( and I mean all around ) that land make sure you leave enough human sent behind.
That way you'll be sure those bucks will head for a more secure area away from all that stinky human sent you left.
You might want toleave some rotten smelling stuff around to drive them into the area you want them in.
Just remember one thingwhen the rutting season goes into full swing a buck will travel for miles in shearch ofa hot doe.

GMMAT 08-10-2007 11:31 AM

I don't know.....

Again....ALL I can relate to is the area I hunt. I've read a buck's core area is about a square mile. I believe it. I had the buck I'm after come by me 2 years ago in my woods.....and I never saw him before or after that. Part of that is MY fault. I didn't go back in there where I think he frequents (now KNOW).

Last year.....I clipped him on what I now know was a terrible shooting attempt (buck fever???).....and didn't see him again for 2-1/2 months. After that.....I saw him a couple more times. Did he leave? Nope. Did he become more careful? Surely. Is he "back", this year? yep. Never left, I suppose.

goos_blues 08-10-2007 12:44 PM

Why is it of limits to hunting? does it have no hunting signs or no trespassing signs. Make sure you don't get thrown in jail.;)

GR8atta2d 08-10-2007 01:07 PM

No none of that Goos..Just because it borders 1/2 million dollar and up homes.. The may frown on me dragging one acrossed their gorgeously manicured lawns.