Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Nature or us?  Who's our worst enemy? >

Nature or us? Who's our worst enemy?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Nature or us? Who's our worst enemy?

Old 08-10-2007, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Nature or us? Who's our worst enemy?

I cant speak for the rest of the country, but here in NJ, other than man, coyotes are the only other possible threat to deer, and they arent a big problem here, atleast where i hunt. Other than natural causes, such as disease or old age, a deer here if not killed by man will probably get to live a happy long life.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:08 AM
Typical Buck

The primary threat here in Virginia, aside from hunters, is cars. Here's a stat for ya: in 2005, there were approximately 5,000 dear-related vehicular accidents in Fairfax County, VAalone (it's a big county, but still). This includes accidents where no deer were hit, but where drivers swerved to avoid deer and hit a tree, another car, etc.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: njbuck22

I cant speak for the rest of the country, but here in NJ, other than man, coyotes are the only other possible threat to deer, and they arent a big problem here, atleast where i hunt. Other than natural causes, such as disease or old age, a deer here if not killed by man will probably get to live a happy long life.
How can youuse "a long & happy life"while talking aboutliving in N.J.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't forget about natural deaths. A deers survival rate from season to season never stays at 100% even if you do manage it. Old age, diseases, and accidents (not automobile accidents) take a toll on the population.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where I gun hunt, U.P. of MI, my bro and I pass countless small bucks. Last year I passed on 11 different bucks, all from 6-points down to a one sided spike horn. We have been hunting our property now for 13 years, and have yet to kill a buck bigger than 110". Every year we have hunted, we have passed on countless small bucks, I honestly can't even put a number to it. Not sure where these deer go or what happens to them, but according to laws of nature and hunting pressure, most of these deer should make it. We own 180 acres, and then we are surrounded by public land that can only be accessed by us and one other party, who has 3 hunters. The public ground encompasses 840 acres and the neighboring property on the other end is 560 acres, so that is one real big chunk of land with minimal pressure. Of all those acres, there are probably only about 200 acres that see actual hunters, because of lack of roads and rough terrain. I have killed many bucks, 7 different 8-points, but have never seen a buck over 9-points, not in person nor on trail cams. I don't know where they small bucks go, be it predation (wolves, bears) or winters. Either way, the winter and wolves aren't killing ALL of them. I have no clue where the mature deer end up, but it sure isn't on my wall!

Old 08-10-2007, 12:32 PM
Fork Horn

the -30 to -40 degree weather and a crap load of snow can kill the older deer just as easy as the younger deer. I don't think the buckswho get the crap nocked out of them during the rut stand a chance during a brutal winter.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:15 PM

With all the deer being taken every year & the different info on what actually happens naturaly I think it is very hard to determine.